Seth Thomas OG details?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by f.webster, Oct 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here I have a Seth Thomas OG. Nice case and movement. I know the dial is a replacement (paper over original ? pan). Dating this clock is a challenge. I thought I knew the movement number (No. 80 - wrong). I don't think the glass is original...too clean. It is hard to read the stencil on the back.

I am looking for some details...like the correct movement number, what glass designs might be original and date available from catalogs. Anything that you can share about this clock would be appreciated.

20191004_112737.jpg 20191004_112753.jpg 20191004_112803.jpg 20191004_112825.jpg 20191004_112938.jpg

2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree the glass is a modern replacement, the dating of the clock will be hard with the bottom of the label missing, no printers name, I am not sure why you think the movement is wrong, looks right to me.

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Can't comment on the dial as it's not shown. Would be painted sheet metal.

The outer band around the perimeter of the clock looks like plain pine. It should be veneered.

RE: dating. The ogee was an enduring design produced for nearly a 100 years. The use of the Thomaston place name places it post 1865. Try to read the stencil on the back. I suspect it's a date code.

Movement #?

Note the movement plates are not pinned but screwed together which suggests a later movement.

Tran's Seth Thomas books may help if you have access to them.

I agree that the glass is a somewhat garish over the top reproduction with what appear to be Civil War type motifs (that conflict was over for a while when this clock was made). Just a glance says that. An editorial comment here. I don't understand why there's always the assumption made that if a tablet is in good condition and "clean" that it must be a replacement? I have some rather clean intact glasses that are absolutely original. Besides the overall appearance, there are a number of other points of assessment that would permit one come to some sort of conclusion that a glass was "real".

RM

4. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I didn't think the movement was wrong...I guessed it was a #80; however, the dimensions of the plates it wrong...therefore MY guess is wrong. THe movement may be right. What is your guess?

The dial pan (metal) has that og kinda curve to it. The paper dial glued over it is flat cardboard.

The outer band is pine or some light colored wood. I think maybe it originally may have been different.

I will continue to discern the stencil on the back...and try to read (through a dark stain) the address of the label printer.

WHat other clues might help date this clock?

5. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would date this around 1870-1880 just based off the overall look of the clock. They did keep this design going for quite a long time, so it's possible it's after 1880, but I don't think they kept using the screws on the front. I think the later ones switch to hexagonal nuts. The tablet is indeed replaced, and as RM has pointed out, the rosewood short-grain veneer along all of the edges has been removed, showing the bare pine base substrate. It would really help to see the dial. A lot of ST dials all look the same, but seeing whether the original has hand painted line work, or silk-screened printed numerals would narrow the date closer. Having the original glass would also help, but it's gone, and we have no record of it unless you have photos from the seller/previous owner.