• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

20th c Seth Thomas Octagon Short Drop Regulator question

eskmill son

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2022
Tehachapi, Ca
Country
Region
One of the many clocks from my fathers collection is this ST. As I am very new to this hobby, I am interested in finding out more about this one and it's particular movement. Obviously stamped Seth Thomas (ST) and Made in U.S.America, but not exactly sure about the 8 1/4. Is it safe to assume this movement is not original to the clock? Seems to be running fine and so far (running a few hours now) keeping time. The case needs some attention and cleaning, but otherwise seems to be in decent shape after sitting in a garage for probably 20+ years. First photo was taken after I had blown the layers of dust that covered this clock.

IMG_2820.jpg IMG_3048.JPG IMG_3049.JPG

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
8 1/4 would be the pendulum length in inches. I don't see anything to suggest the movement isn't original to the case.

Reactions: eskmill son

eskmill son

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2022
Tehachapi, Ca
Country
Region
Thank you all for input. Went through all my fathers clock books, and it seems the one book I was hoping he had (Tran Du Ly Seth Thomas) was not there. Pretty much had the rest of Tran Du Ly's books though. Lol

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your clock is pre 1902.
The measurement is usually for the actual length of the suspension rod, from the eye at the bottom, to suspension point at the top. Willie X

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
If you are going to run the clock, I would suggest you have the movement cleaned and serviced, nice family collectable.

eskmill son

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2022
Tehachapi, Ca
Country
Region
Will do. Reading as much as I can before I get the nerve to try cleaning myself. Need to look at acquiring the right tools as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjornburton
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent