• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Seth Thomas No. 124 Series 8-Day Clock

Chesterfield

Nov 14, 2016
Country
This clock was in my grandparents' home before I was born in 1953. I believe that it hasn't actually ran since the mid-1970s, and possibly a decade prior to that. The property was sold in the early 2000s, and my uncle has had it since then. He gifted it to me for Christmas.

I'm gonna get a local repair shop to look at and go through it, I guess. For the time being, I'm just gonna set it in a prominent location where I can gaze upon it and reminisce. It was really dirty when I got it the other day, my wife must have spent 30 minutes getting tobacco smoke stains off the outside. The face itself looks to be stained with something. She was reluctant to try any cleaning of the face without knowing more about how to do it, and what should NOT be done.

Hope you enjoy looking at these images.

Happy New Year!

Seth Thomas Clock 1.JPG Seth Thomas Clock 2.JPG Seth Thomas Clock 3.JPG Seth Thomas Clock 4.JPG Seth Thomas Clock 5.JPG Seth Thomas Clock 6.JPG Seth Thomas Clock 7.JPG Seth Thomas Clock 8.JPG Seth Thomas Clock 9.JPG

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Nice old remembrance from your Grandparents. Do you have it running?

Chesterfield

Nov 14, 2016
Country
Nice old remembrance from your Grandparents. Do you have it running?
No, I haven't really tried very hard. There was no key with it when I got it from my uncle. I tried the key from another clock and it worked on the time, and another one worked on the ringer. So, I did wind each side a little bit, but it did not run. I haven't checked the level factor where it is currently sitting, so that could be one thing. It probably needs to be oiled, but I haven't checked into what sort of oil that might be.

I'm hesitant to do much to it, in case I damage it in some way.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
One key should fit all three winding arbors. If you follow the steps printed on the back door, the clock will most likely run properly.

From the pictures the movement doesn't appear to have much wear.
I'm sure it needs a service, but should run the way it is for now.

Reactions: Chesterfield

Chesterfield

Nov 14, 2016
Country
One key should fit all three winding arbors. If you follow the steps printed on the back door, the clock will most likely run properly.

From the pictures the movement doesn't appear to have much wear.
I'm sure it needs a service, but should run the way it is for now.
Well, as strange as it sounds, I have to use two different keys to wind the "arbors", a new term for me. In the attached images, the brass colored key winds the two arbors denoted by the red arrows. The silver key winds the remaining one. And, for what it's worth, when I look at the key ends, they do appear to be practically the same. I'm not sure what's up with all of this.

I did wind it more, and although it is not "perfectly" level, the level bubble is between the markers at every point. I've tried to start it several times, but I can't get it to run. And, to JTD's point, I have been manipulating the pendulum to get it running.

Seth Thomas Clock 1 copy.jpeg IMG_0821.JPG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
did wind it more, and although it is not "perfectly" level, the level bubble is between the markers at every point. I've tried to start it several times, but I can't get it to run. And, to JTD's point, I have been manipulating the pendulum to get it running.
Being level does not mean the clock is in beat. You should read 'Beat setting 101' (go to the Clock Repair section, click on 'How to do it articles' and click on 'Beat setting 101') and establish first that you clock is in beat.

There may be other things wrong with your clock, but a clock will not run if it is not in beat.

JTD

Chesterfield

Nov 14, 2016
Country
Being level does not mean the clock is in beat. You should read 'Beat setting 101' (go to the Clock Repair section, click on 'How to do it articles' and click on 'Beat setting 101') and establish first that you clock is in beat.

There may be other things wrong with your clock, but a clock will not run if it is not in beat.

JTD
I cannot get the clock to tick at all - not a single time. I can swing the pendulum back & forth, but there is absolutely no sound. I have tilted it from one side to the other, and I can hear the pendulum beating against the sides of the case - I guess that's what you'd call it - but, it eventually quits swinging. I've wound all three arbors to the point that I'm afraid to wind any further - they all feel tight.

I've watched a YouTube video, and I've read some of Beat Setting 101 - none of what I've seen and read has enabled me to get this thing to make the first ticking sound.

Suggestions?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
At this point i would take it to a clock repair person, as we dont know what could be happening when you swing the pendulum.

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Nice clock. And a connection with your past is always a plus.

With no service (at least a proper clean and oil) since the 1960's, and the recent moves, I would not expect it to start right up, nor would I try, beyond a few diagnostic minutes. Not running all those years is what will likely permit it to run well after you get it back from the shop!

Give it some love before you ask it to give you some in return?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexus08
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-