Seth Thomas Metronome Repair

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by cjsassoc, Oct 9, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cjsassoc

cjsassoc Guest

We have inherited a Seth Thomas metronome from a family member, and would like to get the mechanism repaired.
    Does anyone know of a metronome repair person? We are in the San Francisco Bay Area, but would be happy to know of someone elsewhere.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. cjsassoc

cjsassoc Guest

We have inherited a Seth Thomas metronome from a family member, and would like to get the mechanism repaired.
    Does anyone know of a metronome repair person? We are in the San Francisco Bay Area, but would be happy to know of someone elsewhere.
    Thanks,
    Steve

3. tymfxr

tymfxr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 13, 2005
    buy, sell, restore, repair antique clocks since 19
    E. Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome Steve, your metronome has gears just like any clock has and should be able to be repaired by a clock repairman. I have repaired a few myself. Look in your local phone book 'clock repair' or 'clock sales' for someone who is a member of the NAWCC, BHI, or AWI. Of course as always, if you know someone who has had a good experience with a clock repairman-then go there.

4. cjsassoc

cjsassoc Guest

Thanks for the tip tymfxr!

5. dagwra

dagwra Registered User

Jan 17, 2005
    Hi Folks.
    I have a seth Thomas metronome. The instructions state that after being wound 9 turns the clutch will kick in and it will begin slipping, keeping it from being overwound. This one begins slipping after 2/3 winds keeping me from giving it a full wind. Does anybody have any experience in this matter. I've completely disassembled everything and I guess the problem I have is understanding how the clutch works. Difficult to repair something when you don't understand how it works! Thanks for your consideration...

6. pbClocks

pbClocks New Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    If your Seth Thomas metronome begins slipping after only 2/3 winds, then it means that the spring has broken inside the barrel and will need to be replaced. This happens when the original mainspring grease gums up on the mainspring due to lack of servicing, someone tests winds it fully and the gummed up spring suddenly gives way due to the slipping clutch, and the spring subsequently shatters inside the barrel due to the sudden release. I have been searching for 10+ years and have found that there are no direct new replacement springs for these anymore. In particular, they use a custom mainspring with about an 8 inch thicker piece of spring riveted to the outer 8 inches of the open end of the spring for the slipping clutch feature. I have occasionally found NOS mainsprings to use to repair and restore several of these myself.

7. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board, pbClocks.

However, you have replied to a thread which is 9 years old ad the poster has not been heard of since Dec. 2009, so he may not see your helpful words.

JTD

8. spudnuty

spudnuty Newbie

Aug 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I know this is an old post but I wanted to correct some old information that is contained here since I'm working on one of these.
    So I Googled "seth thomas metronome new main spring" and got two pages of just the spring. There are also other parts available.

Here's just the spring.
    Amazon for god's sake! :
    https://www.amazon.com/Mainspring-Spring-Metronome-Service-Repairs/dp/B00MEN24GY
    for $24.99 free shipping.
    and:
    BRAND NEW Mainspring Wind Spring For Seth Thomas Metronome Service Repairs Parts | eBay
    also for $24.99 free shipping.
    There are many more. Some for twice that price.

I think what happens is there's a dead period where parts for these things are unavailable. People love these old mechanical metronomes and that creates a demand and opportunists rush in to fill the void!

9. Clocks In The Grove

Clocks In The Grove Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would hope free shipping for that price. I do not know the size of spring a S. T. metronome has but I sure would check out Timesavers for one that would be a third of the cost.
    ..Bob..

10. spudnuty

spudnuty Newbie

Aug 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
  11. Clocks In The Grove

Clocks In The Grove Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag: