Seth Thomas mantle clock hands won’t manually move

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Angeltech, Jun 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    Preregistration is now closed.
    Visit the site for our New Member Walk In Deal.
  1. Angeltech

Angeltech New Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I recently purchased a Seth Thomas adamantine mantle clock(89c movement). The clock hands move normally when the clock is running but the hands won’t budge when I try to manually move hands to set time/chime. Therefore, I can’t set the time or chime. Is there anything I can do to get hands to move manually? I bought the clock cheap and don’t want to put a lot of money in it by having it repaired by a pro if possible. Any help appreciated and sorry if posted in wrong place.

2. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Your going to have to pull the movement out and see what the problem is

3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome Angeltech. There is a clutch type set-up which allows the hands to be set without the wheels moving. I suspect that the spring tensioner is rusted and corroded so it does not slip on the arbor, or someone has soldered it for some reason, or who knows what is happening. Like R&A suggested, you will need to remove the movement, take some photos, and post them so we can see what is happening.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    My guess is that the two brass gears just behind the front plate are frozen together. Yes, a good take apart service will be needed. Virtually no clocks are maintained in good condition, nearly all are way way past due for a proper service. Willie X

disciple_dan likes this.
  5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 89 is a very common movement. You might be able to get a replacement movement on Ebay .... but you're buying a pig in a poke so to speak, so read the descriptions carefully.
    I noticed one that has been rebuilt at a better price than I would be able to do it for. Something like that might be an option.

6. Angeltech

Angeltech New Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I will take the clock apart and post photos.