Seth Thomas mantel clock

nelsontl228

Apr 6, 2021
Country
I found this mantel clock at our local Salvation Army today for $4.00 US. First question, how old is the clock? Second question, what is it's value of the clock assuming the clock had not been restored and the mechanism works perfectly. I did find 5585 stamped on the bottom of the clock.

I attached photos of the front of the clock and of the mechanism.

Thanks
TL

Seth Thomas clock.jpg Seth Thomas clock mechanism.jpg

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Nice clock. This style predates the tambour, or “Napoleon hat” style, so probably 1910-1918, or thereabouts. They are fairly common, and you got a really good deal for $4, but don’t quit your job just yet. That clock has a lot going for it; the enamel dial is in good shape, the movement looks pretty good, and the finish is decent as well.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I agree with bike. The common name for this class of case is "round top". The movement is a #89 that first appeared in 1902.

Yard sale prices rule in today's market.

Willie X

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
An antiques dealer friend once told me that it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay on the day you want to sell. Although I do not believe that we are allowed to discuss the value of clocks here, looks like yours was worth $4.00.

RC

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Although I do not believe that we are allowed to discuss the value of clocks here, looks like yours was worth $4.00.

RC
Yes we are allowed to discuss values as long as it does not relate to a current auction. This clock has already been bought.

JTD

nelsontl228

Apr 6, 2021
Country
Very nice find.
That is a quality movement but now the process to make it run.
Have you tried it?
Dick
The clock works great, the movement is clean. I had the clock running since yesterday and the clock is keeping excellent time.

I have since given the clock to a friend that loved the clock and He'll take excellent care of the clock.

Thanks
TL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UltraTitan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller