Seth Thomas Mantel clock help

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Tim Fitzgerald, Jul 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can anyone point me to instructions on how to sync a Seth Thomas mantel clock time and strike.
    Most appreciated
    timFitz

2. TooManyClocks

TooManyClocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Assuming it’s a time and strike clock, not chiming, I usually move the hour hand if it’s somewhat close to the hour last struck. Or I might open the back, reach in with something small and lift the count wheel lever setting off the strike sequence until it agrees with the correct time.

If the minute hand is at the bottom when the clock strikes the hour, move the hand quickly forward past the next strike until the hand reaches the bottom again before the clock has a chance to strike. Or remove the hand and move it where it needs to be.

Hope this was helpful

John

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  3. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hour hand is friction fit and will not hurt the clock if it is turned to the correct hour.

Another method to fix the strike (should it strike the hours out on the half hour) is to advance the minute hand 3 minutes before the top of the hour. You should hear the strike train briefly run and then lock again. Move the minute hand backwards 5/10 minutes, and let the strike train run. You may need to adjust the hour hand to match the number of strikes.

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the mainsprings just wound down unequally, a re-sync should be all that's necessary. If you find that the clock is occasionally getting out of sync for no apparent reason, you'll need to investigate further.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Tim, can you post pictures of the clock and movement?

6. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks everyone I got it straighted out :)