Seth Thomas "Legacy" Balance Wheel and Verge

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by jbgrant, Oct 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jbgrant

jbgrant Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    Retired
    Burlington, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agreed to take a look at a friend's Seth Thomas dated Nov 1979.It had not run for over ten years. I took it apart, cleaned and burnished parts and checked out the three trains by assembling them separately and they all spun freely with little pressure. Does not seem to need any bushings.

I cleaned the balance wheel assembly with alcohol and blew it out with canned air. It runs for three minutes just with a push. I followed Beat 101 to get it in beat. I don't have a meter to check if it was really completely in beat, but it made a nice tic toc evenly.

When I was futzing with the time train it seemed the verge would hang in a pallet stopping the movement. I searched on here for a solution. I am attaching pictures of the balance wheel, verge and escape wheel plus a short video of the balance wheel running from a start from my finger. UPDATE: Could not upload an .

There doesn't seem to be ways to change the drop of the pins relative to the escape wheel or orientation of the verge to the balance wheel short of bending things, which I know can lead to bad things if I don't know what I am doing :(.

Any advice or references to articles would be much appreciated.

JB

P1040451.JPG 552175[/ATTACH]552176[/ATTACH] P1040468.JPG 552178[/ATTACH] P1040466.JPG P1040467.JPG P1040469.JPG P1040451.JPG P1040466.JPG P1040467.JPG P1040468.JPG P1040469.JPG

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    You may want to look over the huge number of post on repairing a Hermle 340-020 movement. There is a long list of problems you may be having. A few near the top of the list would be:
    badly worn pivot holes, many slight to moderately worn pivot holes. badly worn barrel assemblies, failed winding ratchets with collateral damage like bent arbors, bent pivots. If all that checks out OK, you may have a misadjusted escapement.

These escapememts are trickey to adjust and it's best to NOT attempt anything until you know exactly how it all works and follow some of the excelent instructions that are available. RC has posted one of the best instruction sheets I've seen for this movement's escapement. It's commonly called a Hermle 'floating balance'.

3. jbgrant

jbgrant Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    Retired
    Burlington, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I will search for RC's post. Thanks for the helpful list of things to look for. I am not seeing worn or bent pivots or the need for bushings. Each train spins with slight pressure.

The advice I have gotten is to replace the movement, but I think it may be salvageable. Thanks for your reply.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wiggle that balance wheel and see if there's movement in the top or bottom of the tube that runs inside the spring. Sometimes the jewel that should be in there breaks and is lost.

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. jbgrant

jbgrant Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    Retired
    Burlington, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got it. Thanks. Hopefully this will help me resolve the escapement issue.

7. jbgrant

jbgrant Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    Retired
    Burlington, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is now running well with 180 degrees of spin (in each direction). The problem was with the right banking pin not allowing the verge to sink into the pallet on the escape wheel. With a slight bend to the right, the the depthing now is correct and the time train (which is all that is between the plates) is running well. I did oil that train and will let it run for a bit. I put the hands on to check the regulation.

Thanks for all the input and references. You guys are great!

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    You may see a notaceable increase in rotation after a 24 hour run. But, 360 is fine. Willie X

9. jbgrant

jbgrant Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    Retired
    Burlington, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info. I am letting it run at least for a couple of days. Doctor appointment tomorrow. I also want to see if it is gaining or losing time. No big rush to finish the project.

Thanks for your help.