American Seth Thomas ID Help

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Berkshire Vet, Jul 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Berkshire Vet

Berkshire Vet Registered User

May 12, 2020
    Male
    Retired Engineer- Nuclear and Electrical
    Western Massachusetts Berkshire Mountains
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have some pictures sent by a friend recently, looking for help identifying her grandfather's Seth Thomas Mantle clock, with a nautical theme. I haven't seen one quite like it after a fairly good search. It would be most helpful to find out it's name and approximate manufacturing date range, along with a rough value assuming it is not running. I haven't been able to locate the forum for discussing values. My browser takes me to error messages when I search for those. I do have some pics that she sent. Any help is appreciated- Thanks !!

ST1.jpg ST2.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    There is no longer a separate thread for estimates of values. We are now allowed to discuss these things in any thread, such as yours.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to help with the information you are looking for.

JTD

3. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

Although I'm no expert, I believe you have the Seth Thomas "Helmsman" model, made around the 1920's - hopefully someone with the appropriate reference material can confirm. Here's a similar model from an older thread for comparison:

Seth Thomas Helmsman

If the cosmetic condition is good, somewhere around $150-$200 (US), seems a fair estimate.

Regards.

4. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It will probably cost roughly $ 150 to have it serviced and it could go higher if replacement parts are required. Suggest approaching a repair person that has experience working with balance wheel clock movements or a watch repair person.

Andy

5. Berkshire Vet

May 12, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the clarification on that.

6. Berkshire Vet

May 12, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The ST Helmsman is definitely what I'm looking at. Also, that price seems about right as well.
    Thanks- I appreciate it.
    Mark

7. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is indeed the Helmsman listed in the 1938 catalog no doubt available before and after this date. Mahogany case with a lever gong striking movement, most had the ship's bell movement, which is more desirable. Because of the gog I would guess it's a later clock.