Seth Thomas Helmsman

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by wbranko, Aug 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I just finished putting a Helmsman back together. I took the center wheel out to do a bushing and apparently when I put the strike trip mechanism back on the center wheel, I was a little off. It strikes at one minute past the hour and one minute past the half hour.

Rather than taking the clock apart and adjusting the strike trip mechanism, can I slightly move the setting point on the minute hand. See pictures...it appears to be adjustable...but it appears to have been staked? Is this adjustment possible? Is it wise? If so, how do I do it without breaking the minute hand?

Thanks!!!

20180825_153519.jpg 20180825_153535.jpg 20180825_153557.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What kind of mechanism sets the strike up? If you have a J hook, it can be spread just a fraction to take care of the issue.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, the collet is adjustable. Insert a small square file if you have one. If not, A small screwdriver put in diagonally will also work. Hold the file in one hand or secure it in a vise. With the other, grip the minute hand as close to the center as possible and turn it into the desired direction. Be careful not to bend or break the minute hand.

Uhralt

4. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Shutterbug and Uhralt,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! It is a Hermle mechanism, so no J-hook. However, Uhralt hit the nail on the head. I put a square file in my vice and carefully hand twisted the minute hand. I turned just enough to be right on target! I'm good to go!!!

Thanks to both of you again!

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great it worked out for you!
    Uhralt