Seth Thomas German Alarm - gear left over!

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Dave T, Mar 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Time to consult the brain trust. This clock is 2" diameter, and the movement is about the size of an 18s pocket watch or maybe a little larger.
    I've been studying this for a couple of days now and I've got one gear that I can't find a home for. When I take them apart I take a lot of pictures, especially one with the top plate off to see the gear layout. However, on this one the winding arbor was stuck in the plate and by the time I figured it out everything inside had fell out.
    It looks like it should be fairly obvious. It appears to be a starwheel, (2nd picture) maybe not. I'm thinking it should interact with the hammer lever (hanging out) for the alarm. But I don't see where it might have been mounted.
    Seth Thomas German 5.jpg Seth Thomas German small clock 4 .jpg Seth Thomas German small clock 3 .jpg Seth Thomas German small clock 2 .jpg Seth Thomas German small clock .jpg Seth Thomas German small clock.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks a bit like the rattle alarm for kitchen clocks. Is there a verge looking part that it would interact with?

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Shut, That got my brain working. The alarm hammer sits at the top and gravity holds it in the down position. So, that gear belongs right here under the notch in the lever. (see red arrow)
    Seth Thomas German small clock 6.jpg

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That makes sense :)

5. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Clock runs very well. It's a German made 1 jewel movement with Seth Thomas printed on the dial. Found out from the owner... He found the box it came in and it was evidently a gift from the Moose Lodge to his Grandfather. Looks fairly common, but I've never seen one before.