Seth Thomas Garfield

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Boji, Dec 22, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Boji

Boji Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Can anyone verify that the Seth Thomas Garfield ever came from the factory with a spring driven movement?

2. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Building Official
    Manassas, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gilbert made a model called the "Latona" with a case very like the Thomas Garfield. Per Tran, the Latona came with both weight driven and spring powered movements. I don't have any info on a Garfield with a spring movement.

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:

Stephen. It seems that Message Board members have replied to posted queries concerning the ST Garfield clock that it was offered as weight driven and not offered with a spring driven movement.

Your query has an implied disagreement. Tran duy Ly's ST catalog reprint shows the Garfield as having two weights. Do you have an example of one with a spring driven movement?

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I'm pretty sure I have seen the Garfield with a spring movement.

Ralph

5. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Jim Hartog, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
    Hello,

That's a 44 movement in the one you refer to. The 44 has winding arbors 85 mm on center. The weight-driven one has a 66 movement that has 63 mm for the winding arbor space (I measured mine, in a basket case Lincoln). The seller does show the back of the dial pan and there appears to be no winding hole compromises. Unless the entire dial got switched, which is unlikely since it is an uncommon size, or the dial pan got switched out, which is also unlikely, that appears to be a legit Garfield with a spring driven 44 movement. But, I could be wrong.

Jim

6. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

Just thought of two more things. The switch from a 66 to a 44 would mean the pendulum rod has to be changed since the 66 needs a slot and wear bar. The pendulum shown looks to be correct for a 44 but it is pretty easy to change a wooden pendulum rod. Secondly, the 66 has compounded weights and that means there should be two holes on each side of the bottom face of the top of the case, one hole for a pulley and the other for the loose end of the cable. Pretty hard to make those holes disappear without some sign. No photo in the listing of the bottom of the top of the case.

Jim

7. Boji

Boji Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Country Flag:
    #7 Boji, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
    I have seen a ST Garfield that has a spring driven movement. The photo of the movement and the dial seemed like a replacement movement in a Garfield case. a) I had not heard nor seen of one before; b) I've had (still have one) Lincoln both weight driven. So I did some searching on Google to see if I could find one of this ST series that used a spring driven movement. I couldn't. The photos don't show enough to tell if pulley mount holes exist or not. I appreciate all the responses. Until I find otherwise, I have to conclude the listed Garfield is a marriage.

Regards

Steve