• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Seth Thomas Garfield, recent purchase

bwclock

Feb 17, 2015
Country
Following are a few photos of a Seth Thomas Garfield shelf clock, a recent addition. The case is in good cosmetic shape with the exceptions noted below. It has original hands, weights, dial, pulleys and movement. The first photo shows the photo in the ad to which I responded; no view of case top, no indication what might be inside the case (weights, pend., dead rat?), no description other than "old clock" and the price. Somehow this was enough to encourage me to drive forty miles to look at the clock. No point in coming home empty-handed after such a long drive, eh?

..Case.. In good shape and a factory ebonized specimen. A search of the internet shows a few ebonized examples. The molding on the bottom(two photos below) is skillfully applied and finished, however it is suspect as all the examples I could find show four feet with molding around their periphery. Additionally, someone has drilled a couple of holes at the top of the dial surround, one on each side, see photo. All I can guess is he/she wanted a peep hole to spy on the pulley to make sure it was not would too high. One never knows what is in the mind of a prior owner or repairman.

..Dial.. Not too bad for an old Seth. I prefer it to a re-paint.

..Weights.. Each weight had a piece soldered to its bottom, said additions show in the last photo. The additions are the same diameter as their respective weights and look like pieces cut off the bottom of another set of Garfield or Lincoln weights. I sweated them off and the clock ran fine without these additions, after oiling.

..Movement.. Original, not depicted. Runs for more than a week but could use on overhaul and proper cables.

My main interest is old English clocks however this purchase was a fun way to waste some time and avoid doing anything constructive.

bwclock

Ad,Garfield.jpg bob, wieghts.jpg bottom corner.jpg Bottom molding.jpg clock.jpg dial.jpg hole.jpg weight add-ons.jpg

Reactions: Grant Perry

bwclock

Feb 17, 2015
Country
Following are a few photos of a Seth Thomas Garfield shelf clock, a recent addition. The case is in good cosmetic shape with the exceptions noted below. It has original hands, weights, dial, pulleys and movement. The first photo shows the photo in the ad to which I responded; no view of case top, no indication what might be inside the case (weights, pend., dead rat?), no description other than "old clock" and the price. Somehow this was enough to encourage me to drive forty miles to look at the clock. No point in coming home empty-handed after such a long drive, eh?

..Case.. In good shape and a factory ebonized specimen. A search of the internet shows a few ebonized examples. The molding on the bottom(two photos below) is skillfully applied and finished, however it is suspect as all the examples I could find show four feet with molding around their periphery. Additionally, someone has drilled a couple of holes at the top of the dial surround, one on each side, see photo. All I can guess is he/she wanted a peep hole to spy on the pulley to make sure it was not would too high. One never knows what is in the mind of a prior owner or repairman.

..Dial.. Not too bad for an old Seth. I prefer it to a re-paint.

..Weights.. Each weight had a piece soldered to its bottom, said additions show in the last photo. The additions are the same diameter as their respective weights and look like pieces cut off the bottom of another set of Garfield or Lincoln weights. I sweated them off and the clock ran fine without these additions, after oiling.

..Movement.. Original, not depicted. Runs for more than a week but could use on overhaul and proper cables.

My main interest is old English clocks however this purchase was a fun way to waste some time and avoid doing anything constructive.

bwclock

View attachment 684673 View attachment 684674 View attachment 684675 View attachment 684676 View attachment 684678 View attachment 684680 View attachment 684682 View attachment 684683
Nice clock. I have an ebonized Lincoln. Still need weights for mine. Looks like I will go for the 3+ lb. Vienna weights.
Hi Chris, thanks for including the link to your ebonized Lincoln. Nice clock. I prefer the black Garfield to the walnut model. I do not know if the black makes the clock look smaller or what. Both the Lincoln and Garfields sure are large. When I bought the Garfield, the seller said the Antiques Roadshow told him it would be worth more if it had not been painted black. It was only when I got the clock home and inspected the finish and did some research that I realized that it was a factory finish. The design is worn on the bob and barely visible but another one in better condition will show up. I paid next to nothing for the Garfield so the extra expense of obtaining a correct bob in better condition is of no significance. Regards, Bruce

Reactions: Chris Radano

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberthunigan1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller