Seth Thomas Early Regulator no 2 dial without a second bit

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Acart, Sep 8, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Acart

Acart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I am looking for a dial for an Early Seth Thomas Regulator No.2 without a second bit.

Does anyone know where you can purchase a Seth Thomas Dial without a second bit that is 12 3/8 inches in diameter? Is that the correct dimension for the Early Seth Thomas Regulator number 2 with Roman numerals?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could try The Dial House. I'm pretty sure they could make one for you. If you have a case without a dial, you should be able to measure about what it needs. The dial on mine is a hair short of 12 1/2 inches, but it is a reproduction case, and I don't know with any certainty that the dial is original. It does have Roman numerals. The movement is an original, as is the pendulum and weight.

3. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you positive it never had a second bit?

Ray Rice

4. Joe Hollen

Joe Hollen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Male
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Acart:

You can buy 11 5/8th" dials with no seconds bit that are intended for Seth Thomas clocks, from "Timesavers". They have "Seth Thomas" in large letters on the face of the dial just like the No 2... They are new manufacture. Because they are new you should consider if you would want a "fairly new look" or if you're looking for "crazing", or an "aged look". If you're looking for the aged look you can do no better than the Dial House ! ... But, I can tell you that you'll pay 5x to 10X more for a "Dial House dial" than the one on the Timesavers website...

Joe

5. Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Male
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is what the dial from Timesavers looks like (minus the "Seth Thomas" which I remove when I use them on my reproduction "Dunning" regulators)...

Joe

Dunning.jpg

6. Acart

Acart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Joe,
    Thanks for your response.

How do you remove the "Seth Thomas" form the dial? Do you match the paint and paint over the name or scrub the name off with chemical (paint thinner, etc.) or solids (like sand paper)? Interesting. Picture looks good.

Allen

7. Acart

Acart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Joe,

The Dial that I would like to replace is for the clock as pictured. The dial does not look that bad in the photo but it is bad and has been poorly painted over. I don't want to go to the doll house since the expense will be quite high. The 11 5/8 inches dial is too small. I am positive that it never had a second bit scale since there is no second bit arbor. I may try what provide with removing the bit scale and one day go to the expense ($400.00 +) for a doll house repaint. Doll house does a really great job I must say. Seth thomas number 2 dial.jpg

Allen

8. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It does look very similar to my reproduction cased #2. You could possibly make or have made a paper replacement to go over your existing dial as a cheaper method of restoring it. I don't think the Dial House would charge that much to redo your dial, but paper would be lots cheaper.

Attached Files:

9. Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Male
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Acart:

I scrape the "Seth Thomas" off "ever so gently" with a very sharp X-acto knife. I position the cutting side of the blade straight-down so that the whole blade does the "scraping" , not just the "tip". I try to hit just the black paint, but inevitably I do scrape the "white areas"... After that, I put my name on the dial over the area scraped and then put about 3 to 4 coats of spray-on Polyeurethane on the dial. This gives it a slight aged "yellowed" look, and it masks the "scraped area"...

A nice looking clock the one you have probably "deserves" a Dial House dial ! Just my humble opinion :) They do fantastic work...

Joe

10. Acart

Acart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Joe,

Thanks for the help and replying to my questions. I will consider the options. You have been a great help.

Allen

11. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be interesting to see a picture of your movement and the weight used whenever you have the dial off. There are pictures of very early ST # 2 Regulators on page 274 of Tran's book without second bits, but no pictures of the movement. It would also be interesting to know if the movements were marked or not.

It is not everyday you get a chance to see something new and is not in your reference books.