• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Seth Thomas Drop Octagon

Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2018
Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK
Country
Region
At some point I will be starting work on this clock, which resides in the bar of a pub in a Living Museum:

31241F48-BBC6-47E5-8CF5-1F06C6C6D958.jpeg 804A8934-1FC9-4D2C-B56A-1B25BFD348FE.jpeg

The going train has maintaining power. The going winding arbor is on the left and winds clockwise, the strike winder is on the right and turns anticlockwise. Basically it goes, but needs an overhaul, particularly the strike train which sounds like the fly has become disconnected as the strikes are intermittently slow and fast!

If anyone could give an approximate age and/or model number for this clock, I’d be very grateful.

Phil

jacks61fd

Jul 2, 2002
Ocala Florida
home.rr.com
Country
Region
Your clock is a ST "GLOBE" It is shown in Tran Duy Ly's ST book (Arlington Book Co.) circa 1909. Could be made a few years either side of that date. I think your clock has a replaced movement and pendulum. Globe uses a standard ST mvt in the # 44 series and appears to have a longer pendulum than your pictured clock.
If all the screw holes in the dial and mvt. line-up than I guess it is original to the clock. Is it possibly an English mvt installed in this case.

Reactions: Phil G4SPZ

Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2018
Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK
Country
Region
That's really helpful, thank you. The period room setting is c.1910, so you have confirmed that the date is about right. I agree with you that the pendulum does look rather short, although now I've studied several images of a Seth Thomas 'Globe' many do seem to have the pendulum bob half-way up the door. However until I get access to it I won't know whether or not the movement is original. All I can say is that it 'feels' American but I can't speculate any more. I've not come across maintaining power in an American clock before, although my experience is relatively limited.

Most of the clocks that I have worked on in this particular museum have been 'got-at' or modified in some way, and I know of at least one other clock that's a marriage of non-matching case, bezel, movement and pendulum! So it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find a different movement in this one.

Thanks again,

Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irishbogs
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-