• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Seth Thomas Drop Octagon / Ansonia ?

Toyman01

May 10, 2010
Region
Stopped by one of my regular shops and found this Seth Thomas hanging on the wall. I picked it up for $40. According to American Clocks Volume 1 it is a 12 inch Drop Octagon. It is missing the bottom door, but other than that is in real good shape. I don't think the poor thing had ever been cleaned. The movement was choked with dust and grunge, but cleaned up with no problems. The pendulum bob is off one of my other clocks as it didn't come with one. A close up photo of the door and the bob would be helpful. I need to order a bob and build a door to complete it.

The other clock is an Ansonia. It doesn't show up in any of the American clock books and the Ansonia books aren't in the budget at the moment. If anyone has any info on it I would love to know about it. It belongs to my parents. I grew up listening to it strike, but was never allowed to touch it. I guess they think I'm old enough at 42 to not break it. :rolleyes: It hasn't worked in several years. After having it serviced at a shop, they got it home and it wouldn't stay running. A little of adjusting to the pendulum and it's back in working order. It is an iron case with a wood bottom.

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Toyman, great price on the Seth Thomas:D
Your Ansonia is the "Vendome", shown in Tran's Ansonia book from a 1904 catalogue picture. It cost $14.25 when new. Nice looking clock.:thumb::thumb:

Toyman01

May 10, 2010
Region
Harold, Thanks for the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jp Starks
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update