Seth Thomas "Ding-Dong Strike"

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Isaac, May 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  2. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They're uncommon compared to the usual adamantine mantel clocks which strike the hours on a pots 'n pans coil gong. The bell rack box resembles those used on the Sonora chime clocks but with just two brass bells and the box is open on one end.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think you got a real bargain. 'Adimamante'.........oh well :)

JTD

4. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a nice old clock and unusual. The 89 movement is solid and a robust runner. Good find.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like an Asian snack...

Uhralt

6. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never seen an 89 "T" before. Nice find. Congrats. I like the bells. Post a video so we can hear them when you get it going.

7. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will do. I heard that these clocks did not fare well on the market, with the “ding-dong strike” being boldly presented. Sales supposedly went up considerably after they did away with this line of clocks. I’m honestly suprised they didn’t just call them “Sonora strike” clocks, since the regular Sonora chime clocks were a popular seller.

I’m going to hazard a guess and guess that this clock was listed as “Ding Dong Strike #1” - if I’m wrong please correct me.

Whenever I hear Adamantine or “Adimamante” I think of the metal used in marvel’s X-men, Adamantium ;)

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    That's what it's called in Tran Duy Ly's book on Seth Thomas clocks (3d ed., vol. 1); shown from the 1913 catalogue.

Isaac likes this.
  9. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I own one and had another and seen others, not too common, these are like a bim bam, but use two bells mounted in a box like a Sonora'. I have heard these referred to as " a poor man's Sonora", but I am a sucker for Adamantines, enjoy it.

10. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Bruce Alexander, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    I heard the same thing Larry. "The Poor Man's Sonora". I did pick one up years ago. I cleaned it up and serviced it.
    I thought I had it all put back together correctly only to discover that I had turned it into a "Dong-Ding" Clock. :chuckling:
    After switching the bells back to their proper location (hey, it was always a 50-50 proposition) I ended up selling it. Kind of wish I had held on to it now. I think they are very nice Mantels.

Hang on to yours Isaac. I can't say how rare they are, but they don't seem to be common.

Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Anyway, here it is (or was):

Front.jpg Dials.jpg TopBottom.jpg AssembleComposite.jpg BenchTesting.jpg Back.jpg P1060027.jpg SonoraStrike.jpg

11. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clock arrived today - albeit the bezel glass was shattered. Everything else seems to be in good order, so it'll just need a new glass installed (Is timesavers a good choice to get replacement glass? Any specific things I need to do to ensure I measure the face correctly for the glass?

What is interesting is that the bells are arranged in reverse order (low to high). The bell box also is supported on both ends unlike Bruce's example, much like the regular Sonora clocks. To make things more interesting, the bells are of the deep-toned kind, much lower pitched than the other examples I've heard on youtube.

I'll post pictures and videos soon.

12. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking forward to seeing more Isaac. Looking back at the listing, the shape of your clock's cup bells is different than the one I serviced. Your Bells are more "Mug" . Mine were more "Tea Cup".
    Bet they sound nice.

On the matter of shattered glass...:(...my advice would be to measure, break out your compass and cut out a test piece of card stock or thin cardboard for a trial fit. Sometimes the soldered retainers will have some "say" in what fits the bezel. You either accommodate or replace them Probably overkill but beats ordering twice. If the Bezel Hinge is strong enough for the extra weight, consider a beveled replacement.

Good luck

Bruce

13. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #13 Isaac, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Thanks Bruce. I'll see what I can do. It's a nice case for sure - I like the semi-columns that make up the rounded corners.

Here's photos. I took the bell box out to inspect the bells and supply photos showing that the bell "bar" is supported by both sides. A video here as well:

IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0830.jpg IMG_0834.jpg IMG_0835.jpg IMG_0840.jpg IMG_0841.jpg

chimeclockfan likes this.
  14. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all,

When measuring the bezel for a new glass, do I measure the diameter from the inside of the bezel where the glass sits, or do I measure the dial/face diameter directly? Want to make sure I get the right size.

15. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I replaced glass for a bezel I measure the bezel's inside diameter since this is where the glass is fixed in place.

16. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Isaac,

Thanks for the Video. Your clock sounds nice. I really enjoy Cup Bell Strikes. One day I would like to own a Tall Case which chimes on a nested cup bell array.

It would seem that your clock has a "Dong Ding" arrangement also. Perhaps I didn't get the bells mixed up when I reassembled mine, but I did switch the bell positions so that the higher frequency note was struck first. Either way is a matter of preference I suppose. It's not like there is a written chime melody which needs to be played.

Like CCF, I measure the inside diameter, but don't make it too tight as there may be some irregularities or distortions in the circle. Clock Glass replacement companies like AA Glass Service in Florida will not guarantee fit unless you send the part(s) which hold the glass.

Regards,

Bruce

Isaac likes this.
  17. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #17 Isaac, May 21, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
    Restoration has started. Did a simple cleanup of the adamantine case, which didn't need all that much convincing to come back to life. Still waiting for the glass, which would pretty much wrap up the cosmetic stuff.

The movement, on the other hand, was pretty grungy. However it cleaned up rather nicely and there was no rust in sight. Pivots needed polishing, pivot holes needed to be cleaned out. The mainsprings both needed cleaning, as they previously had sticky coils and made noise as they unwound. Someone has punched some of the pivot holes, however o_O

Pictures of the movement outside of the case are before pics - pictures of the movement in the case are after. Here is a video as well.

I really like everything about this clock, minus how much the back door mutes the sound of the bells. Sonora WM chime clocks have an open bottom for sound to escape through, but this is almost completely closed off, which more than halves the volume of the 2 domed bells and their resonator chamber.

IMG_0851.jpg IMG_0852.jpg IMG_0857.jpg

18. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Whoops, looks like I posted a duplicate photo (in post #17) of the straight up shot of the movement in its case (post #13), which was a photo when the movement was still dirty. Could a moderator delete the duplicate photo?

19. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Update 2:

The glass arrived. It is too small, so I'll have to order another.

I adjusted the hammer lift levers to raise the hammers higher and produce a more strident and louder tone from the bells, even with the back closed.

Steven Thornberry , what was the sale price of the Ding Dong Strike #1? Was it noticeably more expensive than the regular T&S movement clocks?

20. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I now always order more than one size of glass, because for some strange reason, the one I am sure will fit usually doesn't.

21. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The 1913 catalogue lists it at $11.00. The No. 2 and No. 3, which were more ornate, listed at $12.00 and $15.00, respectively (same catalogue year). Just as a quick comparison, the 7 clocks in the Dana series, also 1913 catalogue, were each listed at $6.80. I noticed a couple of others from 1913, the Horton and the Hull, listed at $9.00 and $9.50, respectively. Bear in mind that most of these clocks were smaller than the Ding Dong Strike No. 1, whereas the Hull was a bit shorter but also a bit longer.

Isaac likes this.
  22. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm usually "primed" to bush punched up pivot holes. If I see any relatively advanced or unusual wear patterns on the pivots I definitely will bush them.

You could keep the original back door and make a replacement with an "Antique French Clock Door Dust Cover" cut out in the middle. Fabric should keep the dust out. Sounds like you've increased the Hammer Strike and the inserts appear to be wood so I think you're getting as much sound out of those bells as you dare right now.

You can edit photos yourself if you click the "More Options" button in your Edit Window.

Looks like a nice job so far. :thumb:

Like TJ, I'll often end up ordering twice as well. Either I chip the glass because it's just a tad too tight or it's a little too loose for my liking. This is why I suggested your try a thin cardboard but even that doesn't work sometimes as the Bezel may not be perfectly round. The professional glass houses won't guarantee a fit without the Bezel. That's how they put food on the table so ...

Good luck with the rest of your restoration Isaac.

Regards,

Bruce