Seth Thomas Seth Thomas date help

richardetton

Mar 6, 2012
Can someone help date my Seth Thomas banjo clock. Clearly date marked but only three numbers 130K.
Does not make sense when read backwards, needs a 4th number to determine the year. Any ideas?

Richard

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
And a picture of the stamped number, Seth Thomas used 4 digits and one letter, K is November.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
That 130K is not a date but the movement number. However, I have not heard of a 130 series of movements and would be tempted to call it a mis-stamping of 120K, but to my knowledge, the 120K was a time and strike movement. I'd be interested to see what others have to say.

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Correct. Richard, the dates that we are speaking about above in our original responses were usually stamped on the case back. From Tran Du Ly's book, I think your clock may be the Cornwall from circa 1931. If it is, it should have a 5-inch silver plated dial, a width of 9 3/4 inches and an overall height of 29 inches. There are a couple of other options as well, but if you can confirm the measurements, that would help. You clock appears not to have a silver dial, so I'm not 100% on this one. The top of your banjo should also have an eagle finial. Does your clock have one? I can't tell from the picture. The Cornwall shows the winding arbor above the 6, and yours is above the 4, so that is also a bit of a mystery as well, and that may speak to the 103 movement.

Tran does show 103 series movements for the banjos, but they appear to be all lever escapement not pendulum.

Grant

Last edited:

richardetton

Mar 6, 2012
Correct. Richard, the dates that we are speaking about above in our original responses were usually stamped on the case back. From Tran Du Ly's book, I think your clock may be the Cornwall from circa 1931. If it is, it should have a 5-inch silver plated dial, a width of 9 3/4 inches and an overall height of 29 inches. There are a couple of other options as well, but if you can confirm the measurements, that would help. You clock appears not to have a silver dial, so I'm not 100% on this one. The top of your banjo should also have an eagle finial. Does your clock have one? I can't tell from the picture. The Cornwall shows the winding arbor above the 6, and yours is above the 4, so that is also a bit of a mystery as well, and that may speak to the 103 movement.

Tran does show 103 series movements for the banjos, but they appear to be all lever escapement not pendulum.

Grant
Hi again Grant
Thank you for your continued interest. To answer your questions, yes there is an eagle finial on top, the box width is 9 3/4 inches, the overall height is 29 inches, but the dial diameter is 6 not 5 inches. The dial is a flat painted metal plate which looks like it should be, rather than one that was originally silvered, and as far as I can make out it does not seem to be a replacement. The whole clock has the appearance of being original. Intriguing!
Richard

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Hi Richard,
It could very well be all original. Just because it doesn’t appear in Tran’s book doesn’t mean anything. Many are often missing. Enjoy!
Grant

richardetton

Mar 6, 2012
Hi Richard,
It could very well be all original. Just because it doesn’t appear in Tran’s book doesn’t mean anything. Many are often missing. Enjoy!
Grant
Thanks Grant,

I will certainly continue to enjoy, it will remain an enigma! Much appreciate your efforts to solve the problem.

Richard

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andra
Encyclopedia Pages