Seth Thomas D 105 Question

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by hookster, Nov 17, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hookster

hookster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Pharmaceutical Consultant
    Pottageville Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 hookster, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    I have a Seth Thomas D-105 t/s rack & snail movement that needs a platform escapement, likely dated from the late 20s, early 30s. A Hermle one doesn't fit. Anyone know where I can get one, or does anyone have working one that they could spare? Or is this likely a hopeless cause? Thanks.

2. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    You might check with Bang. He might just have one to spare
    soon.
    Tinker Dwight

3. hookster

hookster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's what the D-105 movement looks like. DSCN0494.jpg DSCN0495.jpg

4. Kirk_Wallace

Kirk_Wallace Registered User

Aug 29, 2015
    Groveland, California, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The attached pictures are of my current D-105 project. I cleaned the movement and platform enough to get the clock to run pretty well, but it will need a proper cleaning. The rate lever is wrong. It should have a part that pokes forward through the arced slot just above the center of the dial. I bought another platform that I thought should fit and was billed as a Seth Thomas ship's clock platform. On inspection it looks like a mix from different sources. The bits that look right are the base and the balance bridge, due to being gold plated and jeweled. The escape bridge has brass bushings and plain finish. The balance was held together with epoxy glue. The escape arbor looks like it was ground by hand to get the wheel to fit. I would like to find the proper parts, or find out what the parts should be so I can make new ones. Just about every other part on this clock needs a lot of attention too.

Attached Files:

5. Kirk_Wallace

Kirk_Wallace Registered User

Aug 29, 2015
    Groveland, California, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hookster, just in case, don't throw that movement out. I'm in the market for another D-105.

6. hookster

hookster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, just let me know via private message. It is rebuilt and good, except for not having the platform escapement. I also have the correct porcelain dial, bezel and mounting insert for it.