• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Seth Thomas Crystal Regulator Clock Question

statecb

Jan 10, 2021
Country
Hello, all! Brand new here and to clock collecting in general. I don't know what I don't know - so the title may be way off as to the type of clock. I purchased a Seth Thomas clock at auction and when I received it there was something I did not recognize taped to the pendulum - can someone ID the part and let me know where it goes? The clock does not currently run for more than five minutes, has an awkward 'clunck' sound on the right swing (if looking from front) and the pendulum attach point is unlike the other clock of this type that I have. I'm wondering if the part in question is critical to the proper swing of the pendulum...

Thanks in advance and I really look forward to learning more about clocks and what makes them tick...I'm sure you're sick of that joke!! ;-)

PXL_20210110_194625372.jpg
PXL_20210110_194653551.jpg

statecb

Jan 10, 2021
Country
That is your suspension spring from which the pendulum is supposed to hang.
Thanks. I am guessing that it is an extra one then - and it looks totally different than the one that is currently in place. I also figured out the cause of the 'clunking' on the swing to the right. If you look at my photo of the back of the clock, the 'suspension spring' (thanks for the lesson) was not in the slot of suspension spring clasp (just making that up). This clock appears to be a project, I am going to start by cleaning and oiling - I ordered a kit for this based on a YouTube video I watched (Horace Whitlock Clock Oil Kit). I will start there and see where it takes me. Thanks for responding.

I need to learn the names of the parts of a clock movement, I have not searched for an 'anatomy if a clock' yet, but will. Can you point me to resources you have found helpful?

I missed this on my first post, so:
1. Where do you live? (Country and State or Province) - USA, North Carolina
2. Are you familiar with clock terminology? See this thread for some info. - well there you go - I should have read this!
3. How much experience do you have with clock repairing? Have you worked on several clocks, or are you just starting out? Just tinkering with a couple of clocks I have purchased over the last year - no real repairs were needed.
4.Do you have the tools to do your job? Tell us about your equipment. NO! I NEED TOOLS!! ;-)
5. Clear pictures of the clock, or the part, you are asking about, are of enormous help to those trying to help you. Click here for instructions on posting pictures. Not sure they were clear...
6. If a piece of information or advice is unclear to you, say so. Don't be shy. We are all here to help each other. Thanks!!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Where in NC? I live in Sylva. Moved here a year ago :) LOVE it!

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I did a Google search on Horace Whitlock and the Amazon listing came up. I read the reviews and found them interesting, for they imply that there's really no more to clock repair than oiling. But they're all positive reviews: there were only two negative ones. The first was about a shipping error and the second reviewer was unhappy that his clock didn't spring to life after the oiling.

I'm not sure what I'd tell the favorable reviewers.

M Kinsler

statecb

Jan 10, 2021
Country
I did a Google search on Horace Whitlock and the Amazon listing came up. I read the reviews and found them interesting, for they imply that there's really no more to clock repair than oiling. But they're all positive reviews: there were only two negative ones. The first was about a shipping error and the second reviewer was unhappy that his clock didn't spring to life after the oiling.

I'm not sure what I'd tell the favorable reviewers.

M Kinsler
That is it - snake oil for clocks!! My expectation is that the clock I was referencing in the OP needs at minimum needs basic cleaning and oiled - and maybe more.

The good news is, once I got the suspension spring situated in the suspension post properly and tweaked the pendulum bob up a twist or two the clock has been continuously running and chiming as expected. Though the chime quality is not quite what I think it should be, it is a bit 'raspy' (for lack of a better description) and not clear. I ran out of time to tinker with it more, so that is on the agenda for this evening.

Thanks - Chris

statecb

Jan 10, 2021
Country
Where in NC? I live in Sylva. Moved here a year ago :) LOVE it!
I just looked up where Sylva is - my wife and I are going to be somewhat in your neighborhood (an hour away) this coming weekend. We are staying at the Old Edwards Inn & Spa in Highlands, NC for her birthday.

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Hi Chris,
If you are going to start with this clock, you are likely going to run into problems if you plan on servicing the mainsprings unless you have a mainspring winder as the springs are in barrels. Regardless, if you are going to disassemble the clock to service it, make sure that you fully let down the power on both mainsprings.
Grant

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
That is it - snake oil for clocks!! My expectation is that the clock I was referencing in the OP needs at minimum needs basic cleaning and oiled - and maybe more.

The good news is, once I got the suspension spring situated in the suspension post properly and tweaked the pendulum bob up a twist or two the clock has been continuously running and chiming as expected. Though the chime quality is not quite what I think it should be, it is a bit 'raspy' (for lack of a better description) and not clear. I ran out of time to tinker with it more, so that is on the agenda for this evening.

Thanks - Chris
Check for a rattling sound board, which is usually caused by failed glue joints and/or cracks. Repair both with modern wood glue.

Mark Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I just looked up where Sylva is - my wife and I are going to be somewhat in your neighborhood (an hour away) this coming weekend. We are staying at the Old Edwards Inn & Spa in Highlands, NC for her birthday.
I hope the park is open so you can drive through it. Very nice views up there on the mountains :) Access through Cherokee.

sako3006

Jan 21, 2021
Country
Could you send me the dimensions for the suspension spring? Would be greatly appreciated.

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.