• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Seth Thomas Cottage alarm clock

1940century

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Country
Hello everyone,
Just picked up a Seth Thomas cottage alarm clock, I have no idea how the alarm is set or activated, the clock and hour strike works great? Any info would be helpful.

1940century

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
There are different alarm configurations but the alarm setting disc is more or less the same on all that I have seen. There are between the plates alarms as well. A photo might help.

Below is a photo of a "standard" alarm disc. You turn the disc until the time you want the alarm to go off is under the hour hand. They are not very accurate and most go until they run down.

Best,

Richard T.

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I've always assumed that since they're usually found in 'kitchen' clocks, they were used as a cooking timer. You'd surely hear it go off, even in a noisy child filled house :)

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

When I first started collecting I bought every kitchen clock in sight. With or without the alarm. Now, I only buy kitchen clocks with the alarms in them. I suspect the alarm would have been for cooking. However, an older gentleman told me when he was a child they kept their kitchen clock in the sitting room on top of the mantel. His dad would set the alarm before they went to bed. It would wake them in time to start the day's work on the farm. He said the alarm needed to be loud enough to wake everyone in the house from a dead sleep. I suppose it could have been used for either.

Thanks!

Neal