Seth Thomas clock

tsmith

Nov 5, 2008
Cypress, TX
Country
Region
I just bought a Seth Thomas clock that I think is called a kitchen clock. I'm not much into these but I thought this one was interesting if not a little gaudy. It has label inside bottom and a long one on the outside rear case. I can't find a model number on the clock and I can't find a picture of it in any of my books.

The label states it is 8 day clock with 1/2 hour strike. It appears to be all original and runs well and keeps good time. Anyone have any idea of the model and approximate date?

Thanks,

Tom 75060.jpg 75061.jpg

bajaddict

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2010
Country
Region
I don't have help, except to say that that is a very nice looking piece :thumb:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
tsmith;503076 said:
I just bought a Seth Thomas clock that I think is called a kitchen clock. I'm not much into these but I thought this one was interesting if not a little gaudy. It has label inside bottom and a long one on the outside rear case. I can't find a model number on the clock and I can't find a picture of it in any of my books.

The label states it is 8 day clock with 1/2 hour strike. It appears to be all original and runs well and keeps good time. Anyone have any idea of the model and approximate date?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom;

The clock is called the Metals No. 2, ca. 1900. Tran's ST book shows 6 models in the series from the 1900 catalogue. Tran's catalogue picture shows a different glass design, but the dessign on yours is shown elsewhere on ST clocks. All seems original. Nice find of a clock and series that are not often seen.

tsmith

Nov 5, 2008
Cypress, TX
Country
Region
Thanks all for the help!

I've got Tran's series of 3 books but I guess I overlooked the clock. :confused:
The dial does appear to be a lot fresher than both of the lables so I'm sure you are right about it being a replacement dial. The key that came with the clock is also a repro.

I really appreciate the help and will take a lot closer look at Tran's book.

Have a nice weekend,

Tom

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Tom, the dial paper appears to have a Swiggart trademark. They were a parts supplier who commonly trademarked replacement paper dials.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Yep, I missed the Swigart logo the first look, but that's what it is. A lot of those floating around.

Tom, I found the clock in Tran's 3d ed. of ST clocks, vol. 2. He has a section on Mantel Clock Series. You seem to have an earlier edition, and I am not familiar with it.

tsmith

Nov 5, 2008
Cypress, TX
Country
Region
Thanks Steven. Its very possible I just overlooked it and I will look a little harder this time. I assumed there were so many clocks of this general design that Tran and others didn't bother to be very comprehensive when included in a general book on clocks.

I also wasn't familiar with Swigart replacement dials. As I mentioned before, this really isn't my cup of tea. I prefer Morbier, Vienna, military and tower clocks. This clock attracted me because it was a bit gaudy and appeared to be in good shape.

Thanks again

Sammyt97

Aug 18, 2006
Massachusetts
Hi All,
I just recently won this exact model at auction. The one I got looks like someone stained the case a dark color and the dial is in really bad shape but both labels are there and everything seems intact except it's missing the pendulum bob. Is the one in this picture original to the clock noted in Tran's book? I would like to get a pendulum bob that matches the original.
Thanks,
Chris

Sammyt97

Aug 18, 2006
Massachusetts
On the other hand, I just noticed that the pendulum rod is different from the one on my clock. I'll have to post a photo to see if there is something amiss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ememess
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre