Seth Thomas Clock

Kaslerd

Nov 26, 2018
Country
Hello. I inherited an old Seth Thomas clock from my father. Unfortunately, he didn't have much information on it's history. With the exception of the dial it is, in my opinion, in relatively good condition. The paint is flaking off the dial. I would really appreciate any information you might be able to provide on it's age, it's model, the types of families who might have bought it, it's value, and anything else of interest. I would also be very interested in how I can preserve what's left of the paint on the dial, and whether there are people out there who could restore it and what that might cost. I plan to keep this until I hand it down to one of my kids. Thank you! - Dave

A15D6CAB-44CD-42BD-ABB3-05CF38F50005.jpeg 88515927-1274-4428-B17C-769541B3F792.jpeg DFCA8585-E84E-4F9A-B36E-916B6682AD15.jpeg 3B8B6C2D-55FF-4294-B6B3-9B03F2FFDBDD.jpeg CA24873B-287C-4C39-A2D4-6D7A5F9AE8D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
The Plymouth Hollow on the label would date it before 1865. In 1865 the name was changed to Thomaston in honor of Seth Thomas. Thats a keeper. 154 years old. I really like their confidence “warranted good”. Peter

Reactions: tkmc37

Kaslerd

Nov 26, 2018
Country
Thanks Peter and Ron. At least 154 years old. That's how my bones feel most days! And to my surprise, once I hung the weights on their correct side (per the instructions that are printed on the clock label) the clock runs just fine. But I do agree that the clock should still be serviced. If anyone has any insight on what the clock might be worth, I sure would like to hear from you.
-Dave

woodlawndon

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2017
Woodlawn, Ontario
Country
Region
Hi Dave. We can't discuss values in this section but these clocks don't command very much money these days. Having said that, these are good, hearty clocks and I like them, I have a couple. I would have the clock cleaned and serviced, it very well could run for another 150 years if you do. It looks a little rough and someone has probably painted the case but so what, it's a great reminder of your Dad who likely loved the clock. If it were mine I would have it serviced and leave the rest alone and pass a good clock on to my kids.
Don

Reactions: Kevin W.

Kaslerd

Nov 26, 2018
Country
Gentlemen. I'm sorry. I didn't realize that this isn't the place to discuss values. I really have no idea what the clock might be worth nor does it really matter. I'll be keeping it while I'm alive and fully expect one of my daughters or grandkids to do the same into the future. I was just curious. I realize that the clock case appears to have been painted in the photos, but it is in fact old varnish or lacquer that has darkened over the years. I believe it is the original finish. Regardless, I plan to leave it alone. Thanks to all who have responded so far.
Dave

tliette

Feb 13, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
Country
Region
Kaslerd, I have a Seth Thomas clock similar to the one you have, they are called a Cornice and Column weight clock. And like you, I inherited it from my Dad when he passed as I was the one child who had the clock collection and the value I put on my clock is PRICELESS! I hope someday to pass it along to one of my sons as I have 2 adult sons. .My Seth Thomas weight clock came from my great grandfather but my Dad had it restored about 35 years ago. Your clock is begging to be restored, I'd start with getting the movement serviced, then I'd get the dial restored but leave the case in it's original condition if at all possible. Just take it one step at a time and before you know it you have a restored clock you can enjoy for years. I send my dials to the Dialhouse in Dallas, GA to get them redone. They can even give new paint an "aged" look. They've have always done an excellent job for me and their work is top quality. There are people out there who do reverse painting on the lower glass or just a touch up if that's all you desire but I've never had a clock yet that I've felt the need to get one done, as I've always took an "as is" opinion on the glass.
One last thing, once you get your clock up and running, if it's an 30 hour clock (and I'm sure yours is) be sure to wind it everyday and keep it running. That's the best way to keep it functional. I have 14, thirty hour clocks that I wind every night before I go to bed. After awhile it becomes a habit.

Good luck and have fun!
Ted

Dad's Seth Thomas.jpg

Kaslerd

Nov 26, 2018
Country
Ted, thanks for your reply. I feel the same way you do. My clock is priceless. And thanks in particular for your great advice on how I could go about the restoration process. Makes perfect sense. I am so glad to get your recommendation on some place to get the dial restored. As far as movements as concerned, do you have them serviced locally, or is there a provider to whom you ship your movements for service? This may not be advisable at all, but that's why I'm asking. I have not been able to find any service people close to where I live in south central Ohio. And by the way, once I read and paid close attention to what the label says about hanging the heaviest weight on the movement side, my clock runs great! But I still want to get it serviced.

tliette

Feb 13, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
Country
Region
Kaslerd,
As you can see I live in Greenville, OH in west central part of the state 50 miles northwest of Dayton, OH, actually I'm about 10 miles from the Indiana/Ohio state line .About 4 miles from me is a clock shop out in the country that does the movement cleaning and anything else I can't do myself. They've even worked with me if a clock case needed glued, I'll let them remove the movement and I'll take the case home and do my end and bring it back to have the movement reinstalled. I feel I have been very fortunate to have this guy in my neighborhood, and he is always busy too. I consider that job security.

Since you're online there is so much knowledge out there to be studied and soaked in. Another place I buy most anything clock related is Merritt's Clock and Clock Supplies. They have just about everything you may need for your clock, if possible try to get a printed catalog, but the last time I looked they were sold out but keep checking back, it's about time for the new issue to come out. Don't be afraid to ask questions, as far as I'm concerned "there isn't a dumb question". It's a fun hobby to get into and once I retired I "really" got involved into collecting. My big expense is on the spring driven clocks is when a time spring or a chime spring breaks, that usually costs about $75 more because I feel while the movement is getting the spring repaired I might as well have the movement cleaned too so the total bill is usually $175. But that doesn't happen too often. Also familiarize yourself with the terms that are used in the clock world and forgive me if I've used a term that you may not be familiar with.

Oh yes as far as clock guys go there's a guy just across the state line from me in Flora, IN who does clock repair and he advertises that he does them by mail. His name is Bill's Clockworks and he seems to be a straight shooter and an honest guy. But if you send a movement by mail don't spare the bubble wrap. Just Google Bill's Clockworks, but do look around to find the right guy. Remember they have a part of a heirloom.

Good luck and use the internet,
Ted

Kaslerd

Nov 26, 2018
Country
Ted,
Thank you!
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member