Seth Thomas Boardroom Ships Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, May 15, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I picked this clock up recently and i got fairly reasonable has a dial that has some crazing and a glob of something on the dial at the 5 position but all in all a nice case and all original.There are letters on the dial and a date of 1910 which is pretty accurate.
    My other one of this model runs for about 50+ hours and keeps very good time..............
    Bruce View attachment s clock 1.bmp s clock 2.jpg View attachment s clock 3.bmp

2. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Registered User

Oct 16, 2009
    Building Official
    Manassas, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think your clock maybe the "Wardroom" model and was shown in Thomas' catalogue around 1904 and 1910. If so, it had a 5-1/2" white porcelain dial, had a 30 hour ship's bell movement and was 8-5/8" in diameter across the back. Check those measurements and let us know.

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Brian you are correct,I now own two of these and the cases are either oak or walnut,my original one is oak and I believe this is oak also,but we'll see when it arrives.
    Regards,
    Bruce

4. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    I find this interesting on the brass surround,someone very purposely had these letters and dates professionally done.Do the KBM letters mean anything to anyone,I checked KBM Shipping and Maritime and nothing. Maybe this rings a bell with some of our Maritime experts.
    Bruce

Attached Files:

5. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    This clock arrived yesterday and even though it needs servicing it fired right up and the ships bells are sweet and clear.The glob of material at the 5 o'clock position is some very old paint that I will remove.Some crazing but I researched the board and found methods for cleaning enamel dials and carefully using bleach on the hairlines.
    Bruce

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Well I pulled the dial and mixed 25% water,25% Dove facial soap and 50% bleach, got a supply of Q-Tips and some soft cotton cloth scraps and ever so gently started to clean the hairlines, no rubbing just moving the solution up and down each fissure line.After each run,I ran luke warm water over the dial,patted dry and repeated the process.The hairlines cleaned up nicely,still there but not as evident as they were.The enamel had yellowed somewhat but now is shades lighter almost with the original white cast.
    Bruce