Seth Thomas Bismark

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
Hi everyone, I just purchased another really nice piece for my collection which seems to defy the books and databases that I have used to look it up. What I have is a Seth Thomas 18s SW LS Nickel 3/4 sketetonized plate, hunter case, with Bismark written on the dial and on the movement.S/N 86405. I was told it is an 11j grade 156. Has anyone ever heard of this model, number produced, or any info on it . When it arrives I will be sure to post pics. This is my first Seth Thomas ( The Maiden Lane had been sold already) so I picked this one up instead. Hope to hear from the Seth Thomas experts on this one. Thanks, Jaames

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
Is the movement anything like these?

Model 2 | Seth Thomas Research

Hi Steve, That is the exact watch. I just bought it yesterday and it should arrive by Saturday or Monday at the latest. It is only an 11 jewel but ALL original and shows no wear. I just couldnt resist purchasing it. Spoke to Eric at Timekeepers today ,he has seen only a few recorded Bismarks and thinks it was produced in a small run of 100. Glad I got away from the garbage on fleabay. James

Joe Blossic

Sep 6, 2015
Country
Hi James, Eric Unselt, at 'American Timekeeper', is arguably one of the most knowledgeable researchers of Seth Thomas. As there are no factory records at all, for over 12 years he has logged over 6,000 examples and created The Seth Thomas Research Site - https://seththomasresearch.com/ having extensive information organized with:
  • Serial number look-ups and search functions for model, grade, and jewel count
  • Over 40 charts for logged examples, serial number blocks, and named grades
  • A separate page for each model, exploring dates, run totals, and known variants
  • An entire section devoted to private labels, sorted by name, dial, SN, and state
  • Pages for factory dials, cases, period adverts, catalogs and surviving records
In 2017 NAWCC recognized his efforts --> eHappenings June 2017 at bottom of page.

And on their list of research sites --> http://theindex.nawcc.org/HistoricalMakers-Companies.php

If you want to know more about your new watch (one that I have been on the fence about, which you have helped me with the decision ;) ) I encourage you to get back in touch with Eric. I know he will be happy to share the topic of his work and passion.

Best regards, Joe

Reactions: musicguy

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
Hi James, Eric Unselt, at 'American Timekeeper', is arguably one of the most knowledgeable researchers of Seth Thomas. As there are no factory records at all, for over 12 years he has logged over 6,000 examples and created The Seth Thomas Research Site - https://seththomasresearch.com/ having extensive information organized with:
  • Serial number look-ups and search functions for model, grade, and jewel count
  • Over 40 charts for logged examples, serial number blocks, and named grades
  • A separate page for each model, exploring dates, run totals, and known variants
  • An entire section devoted to private labels, sorted by name, dial, SN, and state
  • Pages for factory dials, cases, period adverts, catalogs and surviving records
In 2017 NAWCC recognized his efforts --> eHappenings June 2017 at bottom of page.

And on their list of research sites --> http://theindex.nawcc.org/HistoricalMakers-Companies.php

If you want to know more about your new watch (one that I have been on the fence about, which you have helped me with the decision ;) ) I encourage you to get back in touch with Eric. I know he will be happy to share the topic of his work and passion.

Best regards, Joe
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the info. I too am very impressed with Erics work and passion for his craft. Very glad Musicguy, steered me to him for my repair needs. I have spoken to Eric a few times and he has always taken time out of his busy schedule to keep me informed on repairs and questions I had.
My membership in NWACC was well worth it in finding him. Happy collecting and hope you are not too dissappointed I snagged the Bismark. James..

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
James, I'm am glad you are happy with your latest purchase because that's
the enjoyment you want to get when you buy an interesting watch(or clock or anything watch/clock related)!
I know you hated the big auction site. It's nice to buy from someone who cares
as much about watches as you do.

Rob

Reactions: James J Nicholson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit