Seth Thomas Battery Operated Wall Clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by tkbear, Nov 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tkbear

tkbear New Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Have an older Seth Thomas battery operated (appears to be space for two 6 volt square batteries) wall clock and cannot get the wiring right to get it running. Could not find any other identifying marks on it without taking the back off. I know my father had it running but that was probably anywhere from 30 to 40 years ago. Would appreciate any assistance. Thanks. T.

Seth Thomas Clock 1.jpg Seth Thomas Clock 2.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a lovely old clock, but I'm afraid that there's not enough information in your photographs to issue much advice. The people in the Electric Horology section will have more advice, perhaps, but I believe that you'll have to remove the back of the clock and take some detailed photographs in any event. I'd be interested to see how it's powered, for I'm unfamiliar with battery-powered Seth Thomas clocks. There'd probably be at least one big electromagnet in there (and this must be treated with great care) and there'd also be some sort of a tricky escapement to supply the electromagnet with a pulse of current under control of the pendulum.

Nice clock. Be careful with it.

M Kinsler

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, I'm sure a moderator could move it to the Electric Horology section.

Welcome to the board tkbear

You have a nice interesting clock.

JTD