Seth Thomas Back & Forth Time and Strike Movement

donadams48

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Does anyone have any information on this movement and how rare is it?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I would love to see somepictures. As i have no idea what you are talking about.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes. Use the "Attach files" box under the posting box and show us what you have.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Just guessing, maybe an S-T swinging doll movement? I've only seen one of those but I'm not a collector. The experienced collectors are probably waiting on a photo ... :) Willie X

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i just merged your two threads... only need one.

and... we still need photos. we can't (for example) see the movement and have no idea what 'back and forth' 'means. also, as of 1880 ST had over 800 employees and was kicking out 10,000 clocks a month... hundreds of models.

your questions can not be answered without first seeing photos.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Might even be talking about the ships clocks, but no pics, so just guessing.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
See the instructions on posting pix.

Just a comment.

A Seth Thomas swinging doll clock? I haven't seen one of those, but that doesn't mean they don't exist?

I have seen Ansonia bobbing and swinging ceramic figure clocks. They were painted bisque porcelain made in Germany.

Kroeber made a series of "Angel Swing" clocks where a spelter angel on a swing swings front to back.

I posted examples of the Ansonia bobbing doll and angel swings clocks on the Forums a while back.

RM

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Attachment does not open for me either.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There is something very strange about that. What should be the escape wheel looks more like a count wheel. I assume the movement does not work - correct? I see a crutch wire, but can't see what it connects to. I don't see a verge. There's also something very strange about the suspension spring position too. I would enjoy seeing a closer pic of the verge area. If this movement works at all, I would say it's pretty rare. If not, I'm inclined to believe it has been redesigned by a jokester.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
There is something very strange about that. What should be the escape wheel looks more like a count wheel. I assume the movement does not work - correct? I see a crutch wire, but can't see what it connects to. I don't see a verge. There's also something very strange about the suspension spring position too. I would enjoy seeing a closer pic of the verge area. If this movement works at all, I would say it's pretty rare. If not, I'm inclined to believe it has been redesigned by a jokester.
I agree. And while I could almost believe that the suspension spring could be in the position shown, I cannot believe that it would have been meant to to broad side forward (instead of fitting edgewise into a slot) as it seems to be in the photo.

And the 'escape wheel' is definitely an old countwheel.

We really need more and clearer photos but at the moment, I think someone decided to have some fun...........but I may be wrong, as I always say.

JTD

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
It's not a common one and I don't know what they called this one, reminds me a bit of a Debaufre escapement with 2 co axial escape wheels. But the pendulum does swing forward and back not left to right, the crutch pivoted on that small horizontal and as JTD said the pendulum is crooked.

Last edited:

donadams48

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Actually the movement works perfectly

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
It is a pretty interesting clock, I'm still looking for the one mention of this clock I thought was in an old clock magazine.

It will work a bit better or maybe just keep better time if the pendulum bob is turned 90 degrees though, air resistance and all that.
Dan

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
We really need more and clearer photos but at the moment, I think someone decided to have some fun...........but I may be wrong, as I always say.
And I was in this case...........! A very surprising and unusual movement - I wonder what made the designer come up with it. I have never seen one like it and doubt I ever shall again. It is very ingenious and now I see how it works, I rather like it.

But it does look extremely odd at first sight.

JTD

donadams48

Feb 28, 2021
Country
And I was in this case...........! A very surprising and unusual movement - I wonder what made the designer come up with it. I have never seen one like it and doubt I ever shall again. It is very ingenious and now I see how it works, I rather like it.

But it does look extremely odd at first sight.

JTD
It is a Seth Thomas, but can't find another one or any information on it, that is why I posted here thinking maybe someone just might know something about it. Works fine, but don't even know what type of clock case it went into as I purchased only the movement. Has to be very rare and probably worth more than I paid for it. Hope to get more info on it one day.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I suspect that you shouldn't have a pendulum bob on there. It was probably originally a child on a swing. I don't understand how that pendulum impulses, but it clearly works. Very interesting!

donadams48

Feb 28, 2021
Country
actually it works very well, I posted a photo and you can enlarge to see how it works. Don't know what type of clock it was originally in but definitely made by Seth Thomas and not a jokester.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, thanks. I figured that part out, but still don't quite know how it gets impulse. Very interesting. See my comment above about the bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClockWonderer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff