Seth Thomas Arch Top

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by gleber, Aug 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nothing fancy, but the condition looked good and the price was fair. The movement is an 89.

Any Seth Thomas identification experts that could provide a name and date range?

The bob is lead with a brass shell on one side - quite nice for not being visible.

The finish is heavily alligatored.

Thanks,
    Tom

primary.jpg 20190815_190945.jpg

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bumping to the top. Hopefully someone who knows something about this just missed it the first time it was posted.

Tom

3. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't help with identification Tom but I'm curious too as I picked up a very similar ST recently. Looks like it has the same movement and judging by the writings inside the door mine received an oiling and 5 bushings in 1984 and was cleaned again in 1993. I haven't had a chance to clean it yet but it's running happily until I get a chance.

I had just assumed it was early 1920s due to the style but I too would like to hear more.
    Don

nEm9utQUQnKp3l66KoXrtQ.jpg 1G0pAq7MR0ORg7BSrGBeBw.jpg sZxfy7YtRUe4HwvTuxhErQ.jpg

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, on first glance, it looks identical other than the height. But, there are minor differences: the base molding and the hammer/gong set up and location of the ST stamp on the back plate. I assume yours has an 89 behind the hammer - is there a letter after 89? I can't make out the stamp on the lower left of the plate above the pillar. There is no stamp on mine in that location. Curious... What is the length of your pendulum. Mine is 6" from the lower adjustment on the suspension spring to the center of the bob.

Tom

5. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, sorry for the crappy pics, I woke up early, saw your post and snapped a couple in the dark. It has an 89AL movement and yes, the pendulum length is 6 inches using those same references. The entire height of the clock is 9 1/4". It seems like a strong runner but badly in need of a cleaning.
    Don

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    There was a 19th century ST shelf clock called the "Arch Top":

arch top.jpg

Also see Tran, page 277.

Yours is obviously not that.

I suspect that your little clock was one of a plethora of less expensive models made in the '20's maybe even the '30's. They're good little clocks that served their owners well and with some TLC will continue to do so. But not very exciting. IMCO, their place in American horological history is that they represent the final years of an amazing chapter in American industrial history, the swan song of the CT spring driven mechanical clock. It was made on the threshold of concessions/changes that would be forced upon the industry by the Great Depression, WW II, "electrics", quartz and manufacturing moving overseas over the coming years and so on.

Rather sad in a way. Look around the MB and see the discussions of clocks made in CT a century before. A time of experimentation and innovation by some pretty colorful, ingenious and sometimes rather impractical people that would set the stage for one of America's first world dominating industries. And they were beautiful objects. Stenciled, carved, book matched veneered, gilded with polychromed and gilt raised gesso dials, reverse painted glasses, mirrored....a great product that even if it was the "base" model like an ogee, it was still desirable to the people of the time.

RM

124Spider and Warren Brook like this.
  7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, strong runners. I could almost blow on the pendulum to start mine.

Mine is 12-3/4".

8. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks RM. I would expect nothing less than such a well worded and descriptive reply. I appreciate it.

Yes, I used the term, Arch Top, as a generic description, not model. Still curious if it has a name, even if it is "not very exciting" (no offense taken, I have to agree, but it's still loved).

Tom

9. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    No offense meant & it deserves to be cared for.

RM

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Your clock is similar to the Prospect No. 0, which is shown in Tran from the 1913 catalogue. No mention there of the movement but it is said to strike the half hours on a cup bell. It is listed as 13" tall, so close to yours I height. Yours might be a somewhat later version of the No.0. For example, the Prospect No. 15 is shown in Tran from the 1917 catalogue. That model is described as having a No. 89 solid back plate movement, with hour and half-hour strike on a cathedral bell (gong).

11. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Still looking for an exact match but as already stated, this was a very common and popular style. This one is virtually identical to the Gilbert Dudley.