Seth Thomas Arcade restoration project

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Jim Andrews, Feb 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Andrews

Jim Andrews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought this Arcade 18" clock about a month ago from a Craigslist post. The dial was separated from the clock and everything had been sitting for long time. There were spiderwebs and dirt inside the case and the movement was dry with light surface rust on the springs and escape anchor. The case was almost black but appeared to be oak. There were signs of an earlier rehab where someone put a giant wooden hoop in the bezel frame to hold the glass in. There was a strange red velvet material around the inside area where the bezel would sit when closed. I also found this fuzzy material around the pendulum door. The dial was beyond saving so I sent it off to be restored by Phil Wilson in Lees' Summit Missouri. With the dial gone, I began work on the case and scrubbed it several times with steel wool and GoJo. After about 5 passes it looked pretty good. I reattached the filler boards and cleaned the inside of the case then applied some orange glow to make it look decent. The old original glass was good and once I got the outer wood bezel re-glued and solid, i installed the glass using glazing points. it fits nicely and the points are not noticeable. During this time I also tore down the movement and ran it through the ultrasonic. There had been a few bushings installed in the past and everything was in good order once re-assembled and lubricated. I applied some Johnson's paste wax to the case and buffed it to produce a nice finish. The dial returned on Tuesday and I was very pleased with the restoration. Once assembled everything came out pretty nice in my opinion. I've just about got it dialed in for accuracy. It's been a rewarding project. Thanks for looking.

arcade 2.jpg arcade 3.JPG arcade 4.jpg arcadedial.jpg arcade label.JPG mvmt open1.JPG mvmt open2.JPG arcade mvmt andhands in case.JPG brace.JPG ARCADE 18" DIAL .jpg arcade dial and hands mounted.JPG arcade with glass.JPG arcade running.JPG

Russell Dickson likes this.
  2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    doesn't that look nice! when you say 18", is that total diameter or just the dial?

3. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Bruce, that's just the dial :) we both like those big dials.

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    very cool... i think my 18" lobby is a 15-day-er... congrats on a great clock!

5. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks - you know i almost passed on this clock. I also found a 24" ST gallery 30 day that should be here in a day or two. It's not as nice as this one though.

6. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    nice job Jim. that clock looks fantastic.

7. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thanks Brian