Seth Thomas Adamantine Clock

Shiro Campbell

Oct 17, 2018
Country
Hello All!

It’s been awhile since I’ve been here. Anyway, I finally got this Seth Thomas clock back after having the movement serviced and it’s now up and running. The date code says this clock was made in January of 1899. Does anyone know anything else about this clock like the model, or have any catalog images? Anything interesting would be appreciated you can tell me is appreciated!
28AAF5A1-8B25-4B5F-8BFE-4CF1EBDE23A9.jpeg

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Shiro,

Amazingly, this is the first clock (alphabetically) in Tran Duy Ly's section on adamantine clocks in his book, Seth Thomas Clocks and Movements. The model is the "Adele". It is found on page 432, clock 1401 and the picture is from a catalogue put out in 1904. Price at that time was $6.20. Google images has photos you can look at. One is included in the link below.

Seth Thomas Adele Adamantine Mantle Clock

Jim

Shiro Campbell

Oct 17, 2018
Country
Thanks Jim! It seems the “Adele” had a relatively long run. Mine was made in 1899 and I’ve seen them in catalogs as far forward as 1909-1910. Any idea when the model began production and when it was phased out? Unfortunately I don’t have the book yet.

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Shiro,

There is information on the production runs of the Ingraham black mantles on pages 180 to 186 in Tran's Ingraham Clocks and Watches, but I have not seen that sort of information on other manufacturers' black mantles such as the Seth Thomas adamantines. In case you are not aware, the American black mantles are all paint jobs except for Seth Thomas's celluloid veneer, which they called adamantine.

Jim