Seth Thomas Adamantine Case issues

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by JayRs, Apr 5, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JayRs

JayRs Registered User

Mar 17, 2014
    Vermont, USA
    Country Flag:
    Hi I am a newbee trying to reclaim a Seth Thoma Adamantine Case. After removing all the bits, I gave the case a good scrubbing with GoJo which did a good job of removing the surface grime, but has left me with a dull and somewhat blotchy finish. The difference can really be seen between the areas that were covered up (Lion heads) and those that were not.
    ST Adamantine-1.jpg
    Is this as good as it can get, or is there someway to get the shine back.

Also the top edge of the case has a split in it.
    ST Adamantine-2.jpg ST Adamantine-3.jpg

At a minimum, I plan on getting some glue inside the crack and clamping it closed. Is there someway to fix up the cracks in the adamantine?

Thanks for any help,
    Jay

2. charlie44gs

charlie44gs Registered User

Jan 14, 2009
    Classic Clocks, Atlanta
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jay,
    I have used a mild auto polish on mine. Then finished with an auto wax. Try it on a small place that will be under one of the columns. Hope it helps.
    Charlie

3. JayRs

JayRs Registered User

Mar 17, 2014
    Vermont, USA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the response charlie. I went back and did 4-5 passes with GoJo and it evened out the color and it is looking much better, dull but at least even. So now I'll try some of the auto polish and wax.

What kind of paint was used on clocks like this (its from from aprox 1911)?

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [QUOTE=JayRs

What kind of paint was used on clocks like this (its from from aprox 1911)?[/QUOTE]

Well, they are probably called Enamelled Black Mantel clocks for a good reason. I use a paint called Tremclad for touch ups, a gloss black enamel paint.

5. JayRs

JayRs Registered User

Mar 17, 2014
    Vermont, USA
    Country Flag:
    I didn't know they did! Be gentle, I'm a new to this. LOL