• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Seth Thomas A200 movement snail problem

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
I have reassembled the movement up to installing the snail. Everything looks good, except that the snail turns freely. I don't think it is supposed to. What have I done wrong?

snail.jpg

Last edited:

disciple_dan

Blackwell Clock Award
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Is it possible that you have the minute wheel upside down? Is it meshing with the snail?

Reactions: CopterGene

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Many people twist the snail to line it up resulting in the hole loosening, you may have to bush it to fix your problem.

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Here is the current setup. The snail wheel doesn't engage with anything. The wheel in the foreground (minute wheel?) does engage with a pinion at the base of the center arbor. I suspect the minute wheel is upside down. Before I take it back off, it would be helpful if someone would confirm that is what needs to be done.

Pinion.jpg Pinion.jpg

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Looks like disciple_dan is correct, the minute wheel looks upside down. I think I see gear teeth under the the larger wheel of the minute wheel, but it could be a reflection.

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Yes, Dan is correct. I removed the minute wheel and flipped it over and gears and pinions mesh on both arbors now.

My thanks to everyone that offered suggestions.

Reactions: Dave T