Seth Thomas 89

DML Clocks

Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
I need a good verge and escape wheel, does anyone know where I can buy one? I have looked in Timesaver, LaRose, Empire and others with no luck.
Thanks in advance
David

DML Clocks

Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
I need a good verge and escape wheel, does anyone know where I can buy one? I have looked in Timesaver, LaRose, Empire and others with no luck.
Thanks in advance
David

erngrover

Aug 6, 2003
Harrisonburg, VA
www.fsptime.com
Country
Region
This might be a good opportunity to recycle one of many available on Ebay, David. That's my usual source.

Try this link: SEARCH

Don't get excited. There is a model 89 featured, but it's missing the escape wheel and verge. I have an 89IL in stock if you're interested in a whole movement. Trade me your fly rod and a pound of beef jerky?

DML Clocks

Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
Well Ern my flyrod has been broke for many years and I am a vegetarian so no jerky, I saw the movement on ebay with no escape, I need the wheel and verge also, I have had several 89's with bad escape wheels where you could not get an even tick tock, I have tried to adjust the teeth spacing with not much success, any suggestions?
Thanks David

erngrover

Aug 6, 2003
Harrisonburg, VA
www.fsptime.com
Country
Region
If this is for "fun and no profit", it could be a valuable education to cut a new escape wheel and make up a verge. However, a movement on Ebay would likely be the most reasonable way out of this.

Hmmmm.... broken fly rod. That must be the big one that got away with me. Happy to part with my movement, David. Make an offer. I don't do celery jerky.

DML Clocks

Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
Well this job started out as a profit job and has gone downhill from there, I will send you an email on the movement you have, I have a wheel cutter but my index plate is loose and I have not had time to repair, it is older than I am. I don,t do celery jerky either. I wish my flyrod had been broken with the big one that got away, but it was broken in the move to Alpine TX.
Thanks
David

DML Clocks

Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
I check it on the lathe and it is true as far as round, but I could see where someone had bent three teeth closer together I tried to correct but it still has an uneven tick tock. I have tried numerous times to adjust and cannot get it right. To my eye it looks good, but to the ear it is not.
Thanks David

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi David-

On escape wheels that have been badly damaged and have bent or broken tooth tips, I draw the teeth straight with a pair of flat, smooth jaw pliers. Depending on the tooth shape, I pull radially (if the tooth has a radial face), or at an angle (if the tooth has a rake). I do that for each tooth on the escape wheel. The result is a slight stretching and straightening of the teeth. The EW has to be tipped since the teeth are guaranteed to be different lengths. Then I index the teeth by making an impression of a set of properly spaced teeth in Rodoco. With the impression as a guide, I rotate the wheel and check the teeth for proper indexing.

To check for an out of round EW, I chuck up on one pivot while supporting the other in a female center in the tailstock, and feel with my finger while spinning the EW. If I feel any "bumps", ie. it doesn't feel smooth, then I tip the teeth with the tool bit in my cross slide. I take off as little as possible and check for roundness by looking at the tooth tips. The ones that have been machined will be shiny on the tips and the short ones will appear dark.

Also, chucking up on a pivot will show whether you have a bent pivot or bent shaft causing the problem.

I'm not sure if any if this will help in your case but there can't be too many reasons for a clock to run in and out of beat.

Good luck with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supatint
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff