• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Seth Thomas 89 movement suspension spring replacement issue....

Don1965

Jun 27, 2021
Country
I have a 89 movement from Seth Thomas. The original suspension spring has a kink and the pendulum wobbles and I wanted to replace it with a new suspension spring. Before replacement, the movement had a perfect beat and ran well. When I replaced the suspension spring with a new one from Timesavers, now the clock will not run at all and I cannot get a beat out of it. The suspension rod is not tight in the crutch. When I take it out and put the old spring back in, it runs fine again. Ideas? Thanks again! Don.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I have a 89 movement from Seth Thomas. The original suspension spring has a kink and the pendulum wobbles and I wanted to replace it with a new suspension spring. Before replacement, the movement had a perfect beat and ran well. When I replaced the suspension spring with a new one from Timesavers, now the clock will not run at all and I cannot get a beat out of it. The suspension rod is not tight in the crutch. When I take it out and put the old spring back in, it runs fine again. Ideas? Thanks again! Don.
Is the new spring stiffer than the old one? Also, the diameter of the rod where it goes through the crutch must be such that there is only a tiny bit of slop there. Is the new rod thinner than the old one?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The crutch might have been moved to compensate for the kink in the old spring. You might have to re-shape it.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
why are we talking about the crutch? he just swapped springs.

i would want to know the thickness of before and after springs, and how flexible they are compared to each other. i would also want to know if there are any differences in thickness of the brass end pieces, where they’re fit to the suspension block and pendulum top… is the more slop w the new spring? less?

i would also check the free swing of the pendulum without being connected to the crutch… just to observe.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
the one way the crutch could be in play is if the dimensions of the new spring are not exactly the same and the crutch pin is hitting a different (and tighter) area of the crutch slot.

how about some specifics? exact dimensions of both springs? confirmation that crutch pin hits pendulum crutch slot at same location w both springs? closeup photos of both springs attached?

and, to anticipate Willie X ’s advice when he joins the discussion, just try swapping in another spring. :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Most 89s have .003" thickness springs but some have .004" suspension springs.
I think they run a little better with the .003" spring.

I would guess that the crutch wire got bent somewhere along the way. Just moving the pendulum side to side will tell you what needs to be done.

Willie X

Don1965

Jun 27, 2021
Country
I wasn't able to do any research last night as I was sucking up water from my basement after a hard one day rain! Anyway, I do know that I have the .004" suspension spring from Timesavers. I have used it on my Seth Thomas Prospect 0 and Dana 3 and they work fine.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
why are we talking about the crutch? he just swapped springs.
The original spring was bent. That would throw off the beat. I was opining that the crutch could have been bent to compensate for that, but now that a new spring that is straight has been inserted the beat will now be off the other direction because of the first compensation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-