Seth Thomas #89 movement descriptions

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by paclockman, May 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. paclockman

paclockman Registered User

Feb 14, 2009
    Hello,

I recently had the need to replace a Seth Thomas #89 movement. The needed movement was a plain 89 which I had no problem locating. I realized that there are quite a few different models of an 89 and was wondering if there is a listing online of the different models and what they were used for and what makes them different from a plain 89.

Thanks!

2. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many of these models came with different features as you've noted. They could have removable subplates for easy access to the mainsprings, solid back plates, solid pinions for the strike fan arbor, strike on a bell for half hour, etc. They also came with configurations to work in synchronization with the Sonora chime movements. There was a thread posting some time back about the different models of the 89 movement, albeit I do not remember its title.

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From the May 1st, 1907 Factory List:
    Seth Thomas 89 movements.jpg

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    There was also an 89AL with solid back plate. And a 89L which is a quarter striker, with a split back plate to allow for easy spring replacement.

I have brought this up before, about wishing someone would make a defenative list of these S-T numbers along with the dates when they were made.

This task probably sounds a lot easier than would actually be. Ha

Willie X

5. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired DDS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: