Seth Thomas 89 AL running fast

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Hello, all. I know there must be hundreds of posts about clocks running fast but when I do a search the helpful ones never seem to show up.
So, here is another one. Actually, I have 2 clocks that are acting the same way. The Seth Thomas looks to be close to the original equip.
20210508_112829.jpg
This is the suspension that was on it.
20210508_112810.jpg
The one on the right is the original. I tried both and it was the same fast pace.
This is the escapement in action.
Slow-motion.
Let me know what you need to know. Thanks, Danny
Move the slo-mo vid up to 1 minute for a better veiw.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
This one from my Brocot drop adjustment thread is running very fast. It has an adjustable bob and key set speed control. The bob is only about 1/8 from the bottom of the case and the key set is full slow. (all the way up)

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Hello, all. I know there must be hundreds of posts about clocks running fast but when I do a search the helpful ones never seem to show up.
So, here is another one. Actually, I have 2 clocks that are acting the same way. The Seth Thomas looks to be close to the original equip.
View attachment 653591
This is the suspension that was on it.
View attachment 653592
The one on the right is the original. I tried both and it was the same fast pace.
This is the escapement in action.
Slow-motion.
Let me know what you need to know. Thanks, Danny
Move the slo-mo vid up to 1 minute for a better veiw.
Dan, I assume the rate adjuster is set to the slowest positioning the first two videos. Can’t see in video. If it is, you need a longer suspension spring. Escapement looks good.

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
This one from my Brocot drop adjustment thread is running very fast. It has an adjustable bob and key set speed control. The bob is only about 1/8 from the bottom of the case and the key set is full slow. (all the way up)
What pendulum do you have? The escapement looks good on this one. If it were skipping a tooth occasionally, that would cause it but I don’t see that happening. The weight of the pendulum affects speed a little but not much.:???:?

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Yeah, on the ST it's adjusted as slow as it will go and running pretty fast. I don't have a number on how fast but more than a minute in a couple of hours.
You're saying a longer spring, not rod? It looks like the original but I am not sure enough to say absolutely. Maybe it needs to be thinner and narrower. Not too much room for a longer rod overall. Have you got an 89 near that you can compare SS with? Spring hanger to hook, 4 3/4"

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Yeah, on the ST it's adjusted as slow as it will go and running pretty fast. I don't have a number on how fast but more than a minute in a couple of hours.
You're saying a longer spring, not rod? It looks like the original but I am not sure enough to say absolutely. Maybe it needs to be thinner and narrower. Not too much room for a longer rod overall. Have you got an 89 near that you can compare SS with? Spring hanger to hook, 4 3/4"
The rod and spring is what I was referring to. Get the pendulum as low as possible and then adjust upwards.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That's a Gilbert repo pendulum you have there. Look around for a smaller job with a longer bail. I have a photo here somewhere. Willie X

The one on the right is a good example. They are both original ST pendulums that keep the exact same rate. Yet the small one is about 3/8" shorter.

1902ST-blackmantle.jpg

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
You nailed it again, Willie X. I happened to have a bob just like the one on the right and put it on. I set the key set to midway and now it's running slow. I'll adjust the bob nut to get it close and then fine-tune with the key set. Thanks, Willie.

Will, I did as you suggested on the Brocot and It's real close. I used that spring rod in the pictures from post # 1. I used the one on the left with the shorter spring. If I use a rod the same total length but a longer, thinner spring will that slow the clock a little more? I set that key set to midway also but I've had to turn it almost all the way back up.
It's a wonder I didn't bend the anchor pivot with that key set. When you turn it way up to the top it gets under the crutch and pushes the arbor up. Thank God I didn't force it any. Bad design there.
Thank, Danny

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Yes, use the longer rod. What matters is the total length from the upper pin in the post to the bottom of the bob. Get it as long as possible and if it is too slow, you can shorten it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodGOH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller