Seth Thomas #5 Post clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by DanJeffries, May 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanJeffries

DanJeffries Registered User

Dec 1, 2008
    Accounting Manager
    Covington GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello tower clock gang!

Thought I would share my latest project. It is still a work in progress for years to come, but I got the heart of the "Old fella" back ticking right.

And yes I know there are many other things this clock needs, dial resto, exterior paint, etc....but this is not a municipal clock, it belongs to a storekeeper and budget is limited. So this was a functional/practical restoration, not a museum.
    I brought the movement home last summer and have just put the restored movement back in on May 6th. Here's a cool fact that I just found out......I restored its "heart" for its 100th birthday! This clock was originally installed in Shenandoah PA, in 1917 in front of Levitt Store. So makes me feel good I helped marked a huge event in this clocks journey with a restored heart beat!

Here is a link to the youtube video from the other weekend after installing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XArMIzBYeA0 As you can see its on a very busy road, so hopefully everyone can enjoy it once again.

Also there are before and after pics, and as you can see NASTY, and as we say in Georgia AIN'T the world for this movement. The White:???:? paint (don't know why white was used) was all cracked up, it was covered with white spray lube, and you just couldn't even touch the thing without grease getting everywhere.

Enjoy and I'll keep you posted on future work, but its a start to getting this old fella standing proud again serving the community!

Thanks
    Dan

2. DanJeffries

DanJeffries Registered User

Dec 1, 2008
    Accounting Manager
    Covington GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well the research is coming together fairly easy on this clock as the current owner has the story fairly correct. The clock did service at McGee Transportation Museum right outside of Bloomsburg PA which opened in the 60's and then closed when Mr. McGee died in 72. All his museum pieces were sold at auction the following year from train cars, memorabilia and including this clock. Here is a pic of it on a post card!

I'm in touch with the historic society in Shenandoah PA, trying to see if they have a historic photograph of downtown showing the clock before it was moved to this museum.....keep your fingers crossed.
    Stay tuned....

Dan

3. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have looked at Youtube, the clock looks and sounds great
    I could listen to that tick all day long
    We do not have many Post clocks like that in the UK

4. Warren Brook

Warren Brook Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing this restoration project with us. Your work on the movement looks great!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Mechanical Engineer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know this clock!! I just saw this right before you got the movement reinstalled. I was driving by and saw her shop and the clock and I about locked up the brakes and jerked in there. It was locked (and empty, obviously) and we were in the mood to shop so we poked around for awhile. When I figured out who the owner was we talked about the history of the clock for a bit. She told me someone close by was restoring it and she couldn't wait to see it run. I assured her that restoring these old movements just takes time.

I was literally thinking about this clock yesterday and wondering how it was going. So great to see it up and running! Another one put back in service! Awesome!

6. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great little video. Nice Restoration. Would love to see a longer length Restoration Video.

7. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Excellent!....just excellent on reviving that clocks movement and congrats!

I would love to have one of those clocks in my backyard.

Thanks for posting the video and pictures and looking forward to any future updates and progress on the clock.