Seth Thomas #44 Movement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by f.webster, Dec 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am trying to repair a (what I believe is) a Seth Thomas #44 movement. The one with the arm mounted to the inside of the rear plate. I believe that this arm acts as the warning lever when the movement begins the warning action. Right now the strike train does not strike because it get bound up on the locking lever. I have checked Steven Conover's Strike Train Repair however he does not address this arm or this striking movement. It appears that someone bent the daylights out of the arms. I have attempted to straighten them to their original shape.

I sure could use a little help from my friends...thanks

20181211_090102.jpg 20181211_123546.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that's a weighted return for the center J hook. Position it so it will force the hook back down with it's time for it to drop. It's been a while since I saw one, so I might be wrong too. I remember a thread not so long ago about that part. You could do a search.

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    That loose sickle shaped brass piece is there so your clock can be turned backwards repeatedly at the hour to sync the strike with the hands. Don't go backwards past the half hour as damage to the half hour mechinism can occur, if it has a half hour bell. You will hear that little lever drop at about 20 till the hour. Willie X

4. f.webster

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking at this movement, I can't see where the warn stop lever is. I thought that the arm on the back plate must be involved. If it is to allow for strike adjustment, why is there a wire attached to the end of the count lever for that operation?

5. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not clear as to what problem you're having, but if it involves the turn-back weight that Willie mentions, Dave LaBounty wrote up a page with illustrations on its proper operation. If your strike activating and regulating arms/levers have been bent up, things may have become a little "scrambled". See this link for more details on how the J-Hook should be able to pass under the minute arbor when the hands are turned Counter-Clockwise. The weight and it's flirt normally holds the J-Hook in the proper position so it doesn't have to rest against the arbor and can pass beneath it if need be. Dave explains it much better than I can... https://www.abouttime-clockmaking.com/downloads/What is it.pdf

6. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    THTanner likes this.
  7. f.webster

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I knew thqt there was an answer somewhere. Thank you all.

Once I have this straightened out, the question of the warn stop lever (or whatever) will become clear.

8. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I knew that Dave had that explanation somewhere. Since he was responding to a question on the Message Board it probably is here too (or it should be). In any case, I was able to find it on his website. He certainly explains and illustrates it well. Since you were dealing with a severely "altered" arrangement to begin with, it must have been nearly impossible for you to make any sense of it all. Let us know if you have any more questions with your set up. We should be able to take things from here.