• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Seth Thomas #4....How to display?

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
Lets just say I has a tower clock in my attic (Seth Thomas #4, s/n 506). Colder months are approaching. A perfect time to bring that project into the shop and restore it. And lets just say that if I did...how would I display it?

I know that Seth Thomas had pedestals (older and newer). Beautiful for display; however, mounted on one of these pedestals would require cutting a hole in the floor to have it run more that one day. I have been considering multiple pulleys to shorten the drop required. I have two and could add more. I have the weights (150+ lbs.).

I don't have a dial and will use the movement dial to indicate time.

I am believing that some of the Tower Clock owners has a suggested solutions I should consider. Please give me some ideas!

In the mean time, I will start bringing down all the parts I have and begin the restoration planning.

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
Good suggestion Frank!

I have just begun laying the parts out to begin measuring...need to make sure the pendulum will be clear of the floor. Also, I am considering what compounding will necessary to have it require winding daily plus some. After that, I will have an idea of how tall and how strong the stand will need to be.

Frank

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
How much weight does the clock need to run? Keep in mind, the more you compound, the heavier the weight needs to be.

Uhralt

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
I have been looking through my notes and publications. Somewhere I thought I read that a Seth Thomas No. 4 requires 35 pounds. I will continue to look but I think that is about right.

With a 4 foot pendulum, I figure that I will have four feet (plus or minus) of drop from the winding drum. Seth Thomas advertised the clock as being 55 inches tall. Not sure is that is on a pedestal or not. I guess that is close (48" +7" = 55")

I have been reviewing Donn Haven Lathrop's "Tower Clocks: Weights, Weight Lines and Pulleys" as a guide to begin figuring this out. Once I have the movement down from the attic and apart, I will know the circumference of the winding drum. Then the math begins.

RRisum

New User
Dec 2, 2021
Country
How much weight does the clock need to run? Keep in mind, the more you compound, the heavier the weight needs to be.

Uhralt
My #4 was driven by a single compound weight with a eight day -- eight foot drop IMG_1127.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RenaissanceLawyer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-