American Seth Thomas 24" Gallery clock - movement question

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
Everyone, I just got this ST Gallery clock. It's actually the inside case with the dial and movement, but missing the big stepped oak donut outer case and bezel with the glass. (Tran Du Ly page 63) I bought it missing the pendulum as well and it was sold as parts or restoration. The case structure is present and there's no problem with hanging it on the wall and running it without the outer decorative case, it will just look "rustic" maybe? I found a used ST pendulum that will probably fit my #60 movement and work fine, but the slot in the shaft doesn't come anywhere close to the crutch on this 86 movement. My Tran book has a lot of 86 model movements, but i don't see a V or a Y that would help me determine the correct pendulum length. The stamp on the movement wasn't done straight on so you can only guess at what it should be. Does anyone have any other resources that might give the length of the pendulum? It is for a 30 day double spring. By the way, the clock movement runs like a champ and has been going for hours with the little geneva stop wheel on the crutch. Thanks!

arcade full front.jpg arcade 24 no3.jpg arcade full back.jpg s-l16003.jpg hands and pendulum.jpg movement running.jpg movement top.jpg 86V movement.JPG movement front.jpg

bruce linde

Technical Admin
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Thanks for not being one of the crickets Kevin :)
i was trying to give others a chance to respond first... i sit in front of my computer all day for work and tend to jump on responding! :cool:

i was going to say that tran lists all the 86 movement variations and you could probably guess-timate the length needed by reviewing specs and comparing with the case.

how did you resolve it?

p.s.: think i need to up my game from 18" dials to 24"... looks way cool.

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
Bruce, I think I've resolved it, but i'm not sure. I couldn't find that movement model in my Tran book yesterday, but ran across it this morning, if it's the 86V and not the 86Y. I haven't seen any listing for an 86Y so I'm hoping the info on the V is correct. If you've looked at the listing of how many different 86 models were made, it's staggering. Any option with strike, 15 day, 30 day, 120 bpm, 100 bpm, 80 bpm.. and on and on. I just looked up some old expired online auction photos for the 24" gallery model and they show a pendulum that looks like it would work on a #2 regulator. I'll just have to try what Ly shows to be correct for the V movement at 13" overall and see if it keeps time. Here are a couple pics I've found of the complete clock that usually runs $1000 or better. and... you should look into a 24" dial and a 30 day movement too! :)

Thanks

antique-clocks-150-2-10.jpg antique-clocks-150-7-10.jpg

bruce linde

Technical Admin
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
a regulator 2 pendulum is 22-ish” long… That looks more like 12, or so.

I have 2 86 movements… one beats seconds and has a thirty tooth escape wheel and a long pendulum, and the other is in my 18” lobby clock.

i think you’ll figure it out fairly quickly.

in the meantime, guess i will add ‘24” dial’ to my shopping list. :)

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
I think so.. the 12" pendulum I bought in anticipation of the clock doesn't hang down but maybe an inch below the cast iron mount for the movement. If you look at the pic I posted last, that pendulum is really long. I'll just have to get a beat count first and then work it out from there, that's a lot of the fun anyway. I'm seriously thinking about having the dial redone and bluing the hands and then just hanging it like that.

Thanks for the replies.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andra
Encyclopedia Pages