English Seth Thomas #2 Reproductions

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Leo Wilken, Jan 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Leo Wilken

Leo Wilken New Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recently acquired what appears to be a Seth Thomas #2 Regulator but no markings on the dial and the movement is stamped H1 New York.
    Any ideas on who actually made this? The case and movement are identical to the Seth Thomas #2.
    Thanks,
    Leo

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    leo -

seriously? without photos? the ST 2 was made from 1860 - 1950-ish, with another 4000 made in the early seventies.

it is one of the most collectible (and counterfeited) clocks out there, partly because there are so many of them and so many replacement parts available.

we would need to see large, clear photos of all sides and surfaces of the case, dial, movement, pendulum, crutch, etc. there is sometimes a stenciled date on the back of cases, but not always... and one does not bestow legitimacy.

there were also two movements... the 61 (rectangular plates) and the 77 (trapezoidal plates, multiple variations).

would love to see what you're seeing... as every picture is worth 1000 words.

also, not sure if you've seen the attached chart...

regulator_2_identification_v.04.jpg

3. Leo Wilken

Leo Wilken New Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Bruce,
    I will post pictures when I am back at my shop. I have seen your attachment which is why I think it is a reproduction. I was hoping someone would be able to identify the maker from the H1 New York stamp on the movement. I can not find any information about this manufacturer
    Leo