Seth Thomas 1914 mantle

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by waricks, Jul 3, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First of - Hi again everybody! It has been a while since I have posted, I have stopped by and lurked around a bit over the las few years but that is about it.

OK so yesterday I was working (I do live sound reinforcement) do the audio for a Rotary Auction here in Washington. Basically it is a huge yard sale that takes up an entire Jr High School and the grounds. I like to wander around making sure it sounds good every where and while I am doing that I like to look at all the stuff. So I find this sad clock that nobody wants. It was the third time I had been through this particular room and so I take a closer look at it and from what I could tell it was all there except for the glass. On of the Rotary ladies came over to me and asked me if I would like to make an offer on the clock (which was marked $40) I just said it was a neat clock and had potential but I only had $10 on me and she said - it is yours! I quickly handed her the cash and walked out feeling pretty good.

The pieces of trim are all there and the rest looks all original, at least to me. The key in the picture is not the one that came with it and I am pretty sure the original key is not the one that came with it either because the key for the F/S adjustment is not the right size. The one in the pic is one I had in my bag of keys that fit all three holes.

The trim pieces are all there and need to be glued back on but one side of the top is way to tight and I can't get the trim so fit in its groove. I would like to know what I can clean the surfaces with and I am also wondering what kind of veneer that it on it. The back is missing which is a bummer - I would love to have it or find out if I can get another one.

The clock itself works very good only loosing 1 minute on the 26 hours I have had it running so far.

I would love to know what you all think about this piece. Am I correct in guessing the age of the clock based on the stamp I found on the bottom? What is the H for?

https://files.me.com/b.ricks/2k7o8dhttps://files.me.com/b.ricks/6d21p7
    https://files.me.com/b.ricks/flxl2ihttps://files.me.com/b.ricks/2pn6py

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    H is the 8th letter of the alphabet and thus stands for the 8th Month, August. I would say that the clock itself is the Dana No. 3. Tran Duy Ly's book on Seth Thomas clocks shows an example from the 1913 catalogue. The catalogue description states that it had a solid back plate movement (No. 89), which yours does not, but that may not be of much consequence, since the 1914 version could have had a slightly different movement (yours seems to have 89C on the lower right leg, back).

3. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The case material is "adamantine" , an early form of plastic. It was made to simulate a more expensive wood such a rosewood.

You have to be careful what you clean it with. Nothing that would dissolve the plastic.

Best,

Richard T.

4. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for that information Steven - I figured the H was something like that. As for the movement - it looks like it could be the original movement - no other holes in the case or marks on the wood where it might have had an edge of something else that was mounted in there.

Interesting information on the Adamantine - I read in other posts where some guys use Gojo waterless hand soap to clean some finishes with. I might give that a go.

Anybody know where I might get a replacement glass for it? Or how I would go about loosening the top so I can replace the trim pieces?

5. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had no intention of creating a link to the case material of pocketwatches. This is another example of the MB creating links where none is intended.

Best,

Richard T.

6. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Timesavers or Merritts's should have appropriate replacement glass. I would be careful about loosening the top, lest some unwanted breakage occur. The trim pieces will not fit in as things are?

7. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks for the tip on Timesavers I will give them a try. As far as the trim pieces go I am not sure what happened. The top of the clock that is above where the trim pieces go is tighter on one side than the other. The trim piece that goes on the left side is no problem but the one on the right will not slide into the gap that it goes in. Maybe if I put some glue on it I could get it to slip into the gap. What is the best glue to use for this?

I am enjoying the clock as it is and it has made a great addition to our living room. Sure has got the clock bug juices going it me again!

8. Randyd

Randyd Registered User

Dec 2, 2004
    I have a couple of very similar Adamantines. One that I am working on now also needs the glass. The glass from Timesavers is item #14141. The movement, weight and hands all all original to that model.

Randy

Attached Files:

9. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Randy! That is good information! I am going to order a glass today. I am also going to try to get the trim pieces back in today as well.

I was wondering - how long will and 89c run on each wind?

10. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It's an 8-day movement, but some 8-day movements will go considerably longer, though accuracy of timekeeping suffers the longer it runs. Best to wind the same day every week.

11. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Hi
    It might be old glue in the slots for the trim pieces.
    I'd consider using a flat file to open up the slot a little more
    rather than trying to break the glue holding the top on.
    It should need just a small amount.
    Tinker Dwight

12. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Steven - I was wondering because one side (I am assuming it is the strike side) winds fine after a few days running but the other side (time chain) is really tight and does not seem to want to be wound at all. I thought it was an 8 day but then I started to wonder that the spring should have loosened up a bit in three days time. It seems to keep great time so I am not sure why it seems like it does not want to be wound.

Thanks for this tip - I felt like I was ready to tackle the job of putting the trim back on the clock so after reading your post I went down to my workbench. I Thought your idea was a great one. Then as I started to look much closer at the clock and cleaning the inside and outside I found that the top of the clock was screwed on. I loosened the screws and the top was free and came right off! I was very excited because I knew that it meant I could clean the groove for the trim out and then glue in the trim the way it was supposed to be. It is all back together now and it looks great!

I am going to keep an eye out for more of these clocks - I love them.

One more question - is the bell for the half hour strike supposed be brass or steel (silver in color?)

Here is what it looks like now! I am going to order the glass for it and maybe a new bell. Nothing really wrong with the one that is in it now but it seems like all the pictures I see all have brass ones and mine is silver.

https://files.me.com/b.ricks/cv6nxm

13. Randyd

Randyd Registered User

Dec 2, 2004
    I have seen many brass and many silver colored bells on 89C movements. My guess is that your bell is the original one.

Randy

14. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Randy, I guess I just have not seen one and wanted to make sure I had the right bell.

Is there a book or something that diagrams the 89c movement? I just want to learn what all the parts are and what they do.

15. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Waricks, Steven Conover's Striking Clock Repair Guide might help you, although I don't know if your movement is specifically covered. Once you've mastered American time and strike movements, you will see that the differences between makes are not great, and the principles of operation are very similar.
    Timesavers part # 15160.
    www.timesavers.com

16. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Harold - I think I will pick up a copy of that book.

I have another question about the springs. I have not wound the clock since Sunday. One side (the one by the 8 and I am assuming this is the strike side) winds like you would expect, the key turns with out much effort. The other side ( the one by the 4 - and I am assuming this is the time side ) does not want to turn at all today when I tried it. I suspected this was the case after I wound it on Sunday because this side was much stiffer to turn at first then got easier. Can anybody tell me why this might be?

17. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The strike side (by the 8) turns clockwise. Is that the way you try to turn the key? When did you last wind it? Sometimes the strike side requires fewer turns than the time, possibly designed so the strike is not off if the time side runs down. Has the clock been striking? You haven't said it has not not.

18. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK thanks Steven - this was a big help and made me go DUH!!! yes the clock strikes fine the side I thought I was having trouble with was the time side which I now understand to wind counter clockwise! Now wonder it would not turn. I am such a newb!

19. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    waricks we were all newbs or most of us when we first came here.All the fun is in learning new things.

20. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep you are so right about that. I do enjoy learning about this great hobby. I few years ago when times were better for me I had a few Cuckoo clocks and I really enjoyed getting them into working order. This clock I came upon by accident and it sure did get me back to wanting to do more with clocks. One day I will be able to do more but for now I will just learn as much as I can about this clock.

21. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    waricks with my work hours the way they are, my time is limited to clock repair.One day when i am semi retired i hope i can do more clock repairs.
    i enjoy learning, but then i have to remember it, sometimes the most difficult part.:p

22. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well the dial glass I ordered from Timesavers came in today. (way fast shipping) How do I get it in the bezel?

23. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am also wondering if any body could tell me where I can get a back door for this clock - or is it better for me to just make one?

24. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, making a back door would be easier than waiting for one to appear on ebay. Can't help with your glass without a closeup of the inner bezel, to determine how the glass is held in place. Some have bendable tabs soldered to the bezel, some have an inner ring that comes out, others are attached by heat and magic:rolleyes:.

25. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah - I figured I would just have to make a back for it. The glass went in but it took a bit of jiggling and such. There is a wire soldered in the top about 1/3 and then another in the bottom that is curved a bit to put pressure on the glass to hold it in.

Very happy with this clock.