Seth Thomas 125 movement

BHB 1991

Apr 5, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
Region
Hello, I picked up a Seth Thomas Lawrence at a garage sale recently that is not working. It was in real nice condition and the case is great. The strike train is functional but the time side is not. This is a movement with a balance wheel and this is the first time I have seen one. It looks complete but the hairspring is disconnected on both ends although it looks to be in good condition, too.

Does anyone have one of these movements that could provide a close-up picture of the balance wheel with the hairspring connected? I want to be sure before I work on this part of the clock as I have not worked on one before. The rest of the clock is very similar to a #120 which I am familiar with.

As always, thanks for your help.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Disconnected at both ends could be a problem. The inner end attaches to a small hub, and has probably been broken off. It can be reattached but it requires steady hands :) The other end just slips through a loop and is held with a pin through a small post. The inner spring break is likely what killed the clock, and may be the only repair needed for a while.

BHB 1991

Apr 5, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
Region
Thanks Shutterbug. I figured out how to attach the opposite end to the post. I figured a small taper pin might work. The hub is still attached to the balance wheel but I have not figured out how to attach the spring to the hub. It is probably obvious but for now, it is escaping me.

The rest of the movement is easy enough and is dirty but not bad. Even the bushings are all good except one. I figured I would clean it, clean the springs and bush it for now and have it ready until I can figure out the rest.

I searched the forum and hairsprings look like a challenge. Definitely want to learn how to work with them but they are very different than pendulums and suspension springs.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think the tail end of the spring is inserted into a slot in the hub and then staked. The end of yours is probably still in there, so examination with a magnifier should show it. You can make a new slot, but it will require something pretty thin to do it :) A razor blade might work, but be careful and don't get cut.

BHB 1991

Apr 5, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
Region
image.jpg
Here is a picture of what I have. I cannot determine how the hairspring was attached to this balance wheel. A collett is present but I still do not see where the spring attaches.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Get this book: Bench Practices for Watch and Clockmakers, by Henry B. Fried. It'll tell you all you want to know about hairprings.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
The last one of those I saw had the balance tampered with before I saw the clock.

The balance staff in those is very delicate and I would suspect yours is broken if someone has “adjusted” it enough to detach both ends of the balance spring. My bet would be the spring has been broken on both ends if it is loose. That will make the balance spring unusable.

I opted to job the balance work out and the bill would have exceeded $400.00.

I hope you have better luck.

You may be only the next in a long line of repair people that have had a try at that clock. It sounds like the rest have not done the clock any good.

Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ksaylor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller