seth thomas # 124 westminster chime clock

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
The movement I am working on has the spring barrels rivetted onto the plate. What is the safest way to remove these springs when using a spring winder is not possible? I am afraid to pull them out in case they cone.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
The movement I am working on has the spring barrels rivetted onto the plate. What is the safest way to remove these springs when using a spring winder is not possible? I am afraid to pull them out in case they cone.
I just pull them out by hand and install them by hand. Never had a problem with coning. Have you done one before? They can be fun.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Rod, it is possible to use a spring winder. You will want to make or obtain an arbor like mine to wind it. Use a capture sleeve to unwind the spring into. Make sure that you keep each train separated. IMG_20200327_155509 (1).jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That 'dummy' winding arbor can easily be made from a short length of 1/4" mild steel rod. File a square at one end and make a 1/16" hole through the rod about 1/2" from the other end and tap in a large soft steel tapered pin. File off the small end of the pin flush, then cut off the big end about 1/8" proud. File the tip of the big end flat and peen it into a mushroom shape. The mushroom shape will allow you to use your new dummy arbor in either direction when winding the spring out of those retainer/s you have there.

Willie X

Rob Martinez

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2013
Country
Off subject here but is that your Sherline cross slide I see in the back of the picture? Do you have any other parts for clock repair that you made on your lathe that you can pass us plans/discriptions on? Your lathe looks new - package C I assume? I just ordered the B package but am having buyers remorse for not getting the C package. I decided against it since the cross slide seemed to only give me an easier way to cut angles.... Turning the headstock seems to do the same and removing that 'pin-thingy' seemed to be easy enough. I also understood I would need to raise my cross slide (tool holder actually)....which I assumed would drive me to raise my head and tale stocks.... Was I correct on those assumptions? I still (now) wish I would have got it - expecially the threading attachment.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Rob, I sent you a pm.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
Rod, it is possible to use a spring winder. You will want to make or obtain an arbor like mine to wind it. Use a capture sleeve to unwind the spring into. Make sure that you keep each train separated. View attachment 649383
Hi Vernon. Overnight I had come to the same solution to safely remove the springs. Thanks for your quick response. Rod.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
Hi Vernon. Overnight I had come to the same solution to safely remove the springs. Thanks for your quick response. Rod.
I used an old large spring winding arbor, took the wheel off and it worked perfectly. The springs are well cleaned and back in their barrels. Thanks, Rod.

Reactions: Vernon

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I have always just removed barrelled springs by hand. Gloves and safety specs, of course. When you put them back, make sure that the inner turns are tight against the arbor.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
I have always just removed barrelled springs by hand. Gloves and safety specs, of course. When you put them back, make sure that the inner turns are tight against the arbor.
Hi Mike, I took an old large-wheel spring arbor, took the wheel off, and used that to remove the springs with my spring winder. It worked perfectly. Rod.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
Rob, I sent you a pm.
Hi Vernon, I have successfully cleaned and rebushed the movement. It is running well. However, I need help in figuring out how to realign the levers which control the sequences on the chime train to synchronize the levers with the lever drops as the movement turns. Can you advise? Rod.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Hi Vernon, I have successfully cleaned and rebushed the movement. It is running well. However, I need help in figuring out how to realign the levers which control the sequences on the chime train to synchronize the levers with the lever drops as the movement turns. Can you advise? Rod.
Conover’s book on chime clocks has the best advise anywhere on this movement. It will drive you crazy if you try to figure it out yourself. Ask me how I know. He has detailed drawings of the movement and great explanations of the chime and strike set-up.

Rod McLeod

Mar 3, 2019
Country
Conover’s book on chime clocks has the best advise anywhere on this movement. It will drive you crazy if you try to figure it out yourself. Ask me how I know. He has detailed drawings of the movement and great explanations of the chime and strike set-up.
Thanks again, Vernon. I will look for this book. Rod.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
What WOW said, definitely get Conover's book. I've needed it for 3 other chimers so it's very useful.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Post a pic of the front of the movement for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davehetfield
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre