Seth Thomas 124 Problem

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by wbranko, Dec 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'm re-assembling my first ST 124 movement. I'm following Conover's book. I'm at the point where I have the chime train functioning correctly under "finger power". My problem is I can not seem to get the auto correct mechanism to work.

First question: The lever/finger that engages the fourth wheel seems to be a clutch fit...that is, if I apply finger pressure to it, it moves on the arbor. Is that supposed to be that way? (P.S. Someone else has been in this clock before, and none too gently. I have had to repair a few past repairs...so I am suspicious of this part.)

Second question: No matter where I seem to position the auto correct lever, the chime either ignores it and keeps on going to the next chime position, or....it engages and stays engaged, so no chimes. The problem is I can't seem to find a happy medium where the lever works, but does not jam up the train. HELLPPPP!!!!!

Any advice is appriciated from those who have experience with this movement.

Thanks!!!

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are two different versions of the chime correction device on this one. Let's see some pictures so we know what we have.

RC

3. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here are a couple of "before disassembly" pictures. 20171119_142019.jpg 20171119_144945.jpg

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yours is the newer more common version. I can't add much to Conover's instructions. I suggest you go back and follow his instructions step by step. Give close attention to where the stop pin is when the lever on the cam drops into the slot. The chime correction stop lever position is critical as well. Never had a problem if Conover's instructions on this one are carefully followed.

RC

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would take off the chime count wheel (the one with the pin that helps the rack fall slowly) and let the chime run until it stops. That will be the auto-synch 3/4 hour stop position. Put the wheel back on at the 3/4 hour position, and advance the chime barrel on the back side to correspond.