Seth Thomas 124 Chime movement

clockpoor

Jul 31, 2007
Need help is setting the beat on a Seth Thomas 124 chime movement in a Tambour case. Since this is a blade type crutch instead of a wire it appears to me that you have to be able to get to the escapement to adjust it, but I am not sure.

Is there a way to set the beat without removing the movement from the case? Certainly access to the top of the movement is limited by this case style.

CP

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Until the STsperts arrive - usually when a movement has as you refer to it - a blade type crutch - usually beat adjustment is provided either at the anchor to arbor fitting or more often, the crutch may be friction fit to the anchor arbor. Setting beat with a friction fit crutch such as Hermle and others have involves grasping the anchor with one hand and moving the crutch thru - past the friction with the other to a new location. It can also be done by allowing the anchor to stall on the EW, blocking it there, and again - moving the crutch to a new position on the arbor. It's not likely but with the second procedure - letting the EW lock the anchor - there is potential for damage to the pallets or EW, ergo, why I recommend hand holding the anchor for the adjustment.
EDIT:
Typing while LAB was responding - use HIS counsel.
However, the guide I provided is useful to know for those movements that have a friction type crutch adjustment. Just file it away.

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
As always, Scottie has given great advise and a good general description for the friction-clutch type adjuster.

The ST 124 crutch is fixed hard and fast to the anchor arbor and, unfortunately, can't be adjusted in that manner. However, the flat crutch wire is actually malleable enough that the anchor can be bottomed at an extreme and the beat adjusted as if it were friction fit. The crutch wire will twist at the top making beat adjustment fairly simple.

Hope that helps!

clockpoor

Jul 31, 2007
LaBounty said:
The ST 124 crutch is fixed hard and fast to the anchor arbor and, unfortunately, can't be adjusted in that manner. However, the flat crutch wire is actually malleable enough that the anchor can be bottomed at an extreme and the beat adjusted as if it were friction fit. The crutch wire will twist at the top making beat adjustment fairly simple.

Hope that helps!
This does help, but before I break something, let me clarify. When you say "bottomed" to me this means to move the crutch to the extreme of it's swing and then give it a little tweak further? Is my interpretation correct?

CP

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
It is correct. But UNlike the procedure I described, the crutch won't move on the arbor but if pressure is continued - will BEND near the arbor.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
CP; Lemme tell ya 'bout my hero, "LAB", I call 'im.
CP, LAB can write CMC, FBHI after his name.
'Course I could write it after my name too but I'd be lyin'.

clockpoor

Jul 31, 2007
Scottie-TX said:
OK, I'll bite. What do the initials stand for?

CP

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
I was actually fortunate enough to have a ST 124 movement in my hands when I posted and could guarantee the results :). I should caution that this application is only safe with this particular movement and it is wise to consider damage to the escape wheel when forcing the crutch foot past its extreme.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
clockpoor said:
Scottie-TX said:
OK, I'll bite. What do the initials stand for?

CP
For me, at least the letters after Davids name (CMC FBHI) stand for : "Clarifying Mechanical Concerns For Block Headed Inexperience"

:D

Well, OK .... seriously it means Certified Master Clockmaker and Fellow of the British Horological Instute. In other words, when David speaks, everyone listens :)

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Thanks SHUT!
I wasn't gonna let it lie and die.
I simply wanted someone other to answer.
(translation) I forgot the meaning of FBHI.
THANKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supatint
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff