Seth Thomas 120 Movement - Leftover

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Hello! I am just getting around to reassembling a ST 120 movement. I had a leftover part. And now I notice the hands are slipping to the point of not moving. Okay, that is a hint! I photographed the center arbor with the tension spring so that I know how it goes back together. See photo below. There is a collar on the far left that should go on and hold that spider spring tight. However, I had an extra part (not shown) that looks like that collar in the photo. Does anyone know where that extra collar goes OR if it is also part of the center arbor assembly?? Thanks!

center.jpg

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Hello! I am just getting around to reassembling a ST 120 movement. I had a leftover part. And now I notice the hands are slipping to the point of not moving. Okay, that is a hint! I photographed the center arbor with the tension spring so that I know how it goes back together. See photo below. There is a collar on the far left that should go on and hold that spider spring tight. However, I had an extra part (not shown) that looks like that collar in the photo. Does anyone know where that extra collar goes OR if it is also part of the center arbor assembly?? Thanks!

View attachment 715384
This picture shows all the parts of the ST-120 center assembly. Look closely and you should see that the collar at the far left is cracked. A not so uncommon problem. If this collar is cracked it will not hold the sprig washer under enough tension to prevent the hands from slipping. I don't see your "extra part" but perhaps it is something someone added to compensate for a similarly cracked collar.

RC

DSC00514.JPG collar.jpg

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
If you took the chime hammer assembly apart, your extra part may be from there or perhaps it's a spacer for a pillar post?
Vernon

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
This picture shows all the parts of the ST-120 center assembly. Look closely and you should see that the collar at the far left is cracked. A not so uncommon problem. If this collar is cracked it will not hold the sprig washer under enough tension to prevent the hands from slipping. I don't see your "extra part" but perhaps it is something someone added to compensate for a similarly cracked collar.

RC
Like RC, I think someone just added an uncracked collar and didn’t remove the cracked one. Easier that way.

View attachment 715391 View attachment 715392

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-