Help Seth Thomas #11 movement suspension spring

Roger S Gorham

Mar 2, 2021
Country
Region
I was given this clock from a wonderful friend. Sadly the clock doesn’t appear to have all of the parts or the parts are no longer usable one of those parts is the suspension spring. Still being a newbie the third/fourth pictures of the three “eared” piece was pinned onto the winding wheels. Although the pendulum weight is present the parts that were there to suspend it do not appear to be correct as it is just a long piece of steel with a brass adjustment nut and this was all staked into place with some chips of wood.
I’m hoping some more knowledgeable folks can help me find the correct suspension spring and the mystery item. 8CB35293-5788-4EC0-A96B-A373499F6EA7.jpeg 83F9E7EE-01B7-4124-AC0E-EE2A6D2EC31D.jpeg 96400342-4E7F-4791-8D72-D18DB58508DA.jpeg 7741CB0D-E975-4F07-A2AD-5E8037A7E451.jpeg 35A60641-1371-44A4-9325-AA4E5C5E8242.jpeg

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
Regarding the suspension, I think you need a suspension rod. Timesavers has several different lengths. You bend a hook on the end of the rod to mount the pendulum bob.

Timesavers

Reactions: Roger S Gorham

Roger S Gorham

Mar 2, 2021
Country
Region
Regarding the suspension, I think you need a suspension rod. Timesavers has several different lengths. You bend a hook on the end of the rod to mount the pendulum bob.

Timesavers
I appreciate greatly the response I do actually have the suspension rod just forgot to picture it. And I believe I’ve found the correct suspension spring in the catalog although mine is from 2013 so I’ll have to get up to date pricing on it and others.
I also noted while going through the book that there is a ratchet wheel repair kit number 11696 that appears to have that three sided eyeball thing that I’m trying to find. I would greatly appreciate if you could verify that or if you know of another source for a spot in the book that I can find that part. It is posted to the back of the ratchet wheel I’m guessing kind of like a little tensioner. I have attached a picture of where this item is found in ST #11 movement. Will be ordering soon as I have a good list of parts already. image.jpg

Roger S Gorham

Mar 2, 2021
Country
Region
The ratchet wheel repair kit appears to be for a cuckoo clock and they don't specify a size. They do have this tension washer with sizes:
Brass Tension Washer 7/8" Long (timesavers.com)
Hopefully someone else will come along with a link to the correct part.
P.S. I believe the 11 marked on your movement is the length of the suspension rod.
Again greatly appreciate your response. I can definitely see where that number 11 could relate as the rod that I have is just over 10 inches itself.
I think you’re right about that tension washer and it looks like it would work out fine. From what I understand of it it looks like the tension washer is purely to keep the wheel engaged to the click.

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
I think you’re right about that tension washer and it looks like it would work out fine. From what I understand of it it looks like the tension washer is purely to keep the wheel engaged to the click.

...or just to keep it from contacting the plate maybe?

Nice looking clock! Please keep us up to date on your repairs. Who knows how long it's been since it ticked and struck the time. When that happens, it's magic!

Roger S Gorham

Mar 2, 2021
Country
Region
...or just to keep it from contacting the plate maybe?

Nice looking clock! Please keep us up to date on your repairs. Who knows how long it's been since it ticked and struck the time. When that happens, it's magic!
Thank you very much I sure will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Augustiner
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff