• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Seth Thomas 103A runs slow

Lloyd M

NAWCC Member
Dec 2, 2005
Iowa
Country
Region
I have a little desk clock with a balance wheel in the shop now that needed cleaning and balance staff replaced. After I had that done, added a couple bushings, cleaned and oiled the movement, it runs slow. The balance spring was pretty bent up and I straightened it to match the inside curvature as best I could, and the beat is pretty good, but the rate is about 16,180 BPH. I don't know what it should be, but am looking for suggestions to solve the problem.

IMG_3545.JPG IMG_3546.JPG IMG_3547.JPG

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Perhaps shorten the hairspring by moving it and putting the pin in a slightly different location?

Lloyd M

NAWCC Member
Dec 2, 2005
Iowa
Country
Region
I have a little desk clock with a balance wheel in the shop now that needed cleaning and balance staff replaced. After I had that done, added a couple bushings, cleaned and oiled the movement, it runs slow. The balance spring was pretty bent up and I straightened it to match the inside curvature as best I could, and the beat is pretty good, but the rate is about 16,180 BPH. I don't know what it should be, but am looking for suggestions to solve the problem.

View attachment 467199 View attachment 467200 View attachment 467201
I can try that - I tried to set the balance spring so the pallet pin was close to center to get a good beat.
Will try though
Thanks

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
After shortening the moving part of the hairspring you need to newly set the beat. There is usually a split collet that attaches the hairspring to the staff. Put a small screwdriver is the split and rotate the balance wheel slightly to set the beat. Several trials may be necessary until it is perfect.

uhralt

Lloyd M

NAWCC Member
Dec 2, 2005
Iowa
Country
Region
After I removed the balance wheel I found that the balance spring was loose on the shaft, so I removed it and pinched it closed a little on a smaller size drill bit, went to put it back on and the spring fell off the collar, so now I have to find a replacement!!
If anyone has parts from the 103A, let me know. I will put a request on the parts wanted list also.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Some days nothing goes right. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member