Seth Thomas 10

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Jackknyc, May 22, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jackknyc

Jackknyc Registered User

May 22, 2012
    I picked up a movement that seems to have two barrels for the time train. The movement is marked ST on the left and the number 10 on the right. it's a balance wheel mvt. What is it from. Thanks, Jack

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board Jackk nyc.

You ask what the ST #10 movement was used for. The answer is "just about everything imaginable in time measurement and control."

The ST #10 movement is/was very reliable and versatile. It was sometimes cased in a large bronze water-tight case like a steam gauge and used in boiler rooms. And it was cased in a simple wood box with a 24 hour dial and equipped with electrical contacts to control entry alarms for banks and other secure locations. It was used with a commutator to control public musical chimes and bells. It was used in many temperature and humidity recording instruments to move the chart paper.

An finally, a very few were modified by the M. Low company during WWII with specially designed, very accurate escapement to be used at sea as a reliable precise timer.

Some are found in "plain-old-clocks" too.

Where did you locate your ST#10 clock movement and where or how do you plan to use it?

3. Jackknyc

Jackknyc Registered User

May 22, 2012
    Thanks, I found it at a flea market. I was going to use it to practice overhauling. Is it only an 8 day mvt.?

4. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Here is one of the types of clocks Les was referring to,12" with a Number 10 movement and weighs in at 23 lbs.
    Bruce

Attached Files:

5. Jackknyc

Jackknyc Registered User

May 22, 2012
    Is it only an 8 day mvt?

6. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Yes an eight movement and maybe a little longer depending on condition and care...........................

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mine is sitting in a brass ship's clock case and is labeled "US Navy" on the dial. It does not have the precision escapement made by Low. So maybe it was just a timekeeper in the boiler room.

Uhralt

8. warrentelechron22

warrentelechron22 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 22, 2007

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There's an inquiry over at clock repair for the BPH of a #10. Do you have that info? Oops! Eric was already here I see :)